Chaffinch Countermeasures?

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
PershingLover
Corporal

Re: Chaffinch Countermeasures?

Post by PershingLover »

:haha: I'm somewhat glad I'm not your neighbor!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

silversurfer1947 wrote:I think there are probably laws against shooting chaffinches. You can get covers for cars. If you covered the windows then there would be no reflections.
Yes, Richard, I think that pretty much all birds are protected by law these days. The 'Wildlife and Countryside Act of 1981', gives protection to all birds and their nests. However, it was ok to shoot so-called 'pest birds'; Jays, Crows, and pigeons until 2019. Crofters also find Greylag Geese to be a problem (and therefore a pest) around here, and worthy of some buckshot up the butt, as they ruin the grazing areas used by sheep and cattle.
http://ww2.rspb.org.uk/Images/WbatlScot ... 202599.pdf
That said, the landed gentry still get to enjoy killing wild birds, since the ones they shoot are conveniently redefined as 'Game birds' ( I've know a few of those in my time too.. :lolno: ).
As for using a car cover, well, it's difficult to find one that can withstand the gales we're apt to get here on the Atlantic coast, wihtout becoming detached.
The cover I had on my bike was shredded one day, before disappearing into the distance on its way to Inverness. :| >:<
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Seems to me that a Garage might just be the answer to your problem :thumbup:
I would avoid putting it up too near your swimming pool.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

PainlessWolf wrote:Roy,
Get an airsoft Tank out there and ping the occasional plastic shot off of your car. Birds are not daft, it will get the not-wanted idea. ;0)
regards,
Painless
Yes, that's the humane solution, Painless. Thinking of the current 'lockdown' reminds me of Burt Lancaster as the 'Birdman of Alcatraz'. Like his character, I regard birds as friends, and a brilliant distraction. However, I'm not inclined to let my friends crap all over my car... :eh: :/ music; yes, jokes; yes, taste in movies, yes. :lolno: Car- no.
Here's one option. It's a parrot with a 360deg swivel head (its head spins around in the wind). I can only imagine a row of various garden birds gathering on my fence, and laughing (chirping) their heads off at this would be 'scarer'. This owl has the fear-inspiring charisma of a cowpat ;)
phpBB [video]

I wonder what a 'wind-action' turret could do for an RC Tank :think: ...

Edit: thanks to all, for input on this crucial topic of global importance :thumbup: ;) :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

No probs, in cases like this we are not forward in being backward....
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection

Return to “Off topic”