Familiarity.

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
jarndice
Colonel

Familiarity.

Post by jarndice »

Some members of the Forum have always appended their Christian/Forename at the end of an entry, indeed once upon a time I was one of them,
The protocol used to be that when you joined the Forum if in the body of the thread you gave your name but did not sign off with it then other members would refer to you by using your pseudonym but If you signed off with your true name then you would be referred to by that name,
My point is that there seems to be an upsurge in using real names,
I have no objection to people using my name but I am wondering why the practice has taken hold.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Familiarity.

Post by HERMAN BIX »

For me, I began my membership by addressing any member poster by 'Mr-(username) as its what I feel is the right thing to do.
As far as Im concerned, if thats the name they choose to go by, then the least I can do is to address that choice by some modicum of formal respect.
Though I know of many members real names, I choose to uphold that persons right to privacy by using only that on-line identity they have given.

In this age of on line identity theft and ex-wives, thats all I feel is warranted and offered.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I'm in full agreement with Mr Bix but l notice that many members are referring to others by their real names so privacy is lost anyway. I guess if some of us get to know each other by first names it's difficult not to use them. It's not really an issue for me and the same mix exists on most forums.
Cheers, GJ :S
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

I think it's more of a generation change effect. Not necessarily the generation of the posters (age range is huge) but their time on the internet. Old Chat/Message board users have nicknames; the Facebook/LinkedIn/Twitter users less so.

Using users names on here seems best to me, because not everyone knows who people are so it's more inclusive.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

As with Herman I know the names of many of the members of the Forum BUT until that person advances their name instead of their non de plume it certainly is not my place to quote it to a wider audience.
I wonder if its the old "An Englishman's Home is their Castle" with which we like to shield ourselves.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I can think of a few members who routinely end most posts with their forename, and some form of salutation (Cheers etc.,). It becomes their screen persona, and I find it quite disarming, in fact. :thumbup:
I'm unaware of protocols on other boards, as this is- in effect- the only Forum I've ever participated in.
At the same time, It's probably the only one that could put up with me, as well. :D :haha:
Anyway, it's not a problem for me if people know that I have the good old Scots forename, Roy (Ruadh, or 'red' in Gaelic...like the Red Glen 'Royglen"), although I seldom append it to posts. Variants on my screen name are fine as well. Full (actual) names, and birthdates (albeit referred to innocently, like: 'Well, lads, time for some amber nectar-it's my Birthday today') should be avoided, if poss. That's because whilst the majority of folk who sign up to RCTW are probably as honest as the day is long, we do get out trolls and internet sharks...
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

I personally do not have an issue with this, on the other hand to call someone by they full name, give personal information away such as addresses, phone numbers etc would diffinatly be a no no !! I would not class this forum as a random chatroom where keyboard warriors regularly throw trash at each other ( well most of the time anyway :D ) and stay anonymous for this reason. I have been a member on here for a few years now and I would like to think that I have made some good friends who I may never have gotten to chat to if it were not for here, I also think that in real life I could enjoy a pint and chew the fat with them also. I have no problem addressing people by whatever they choose but I am comfortable with members calling me Lee, just DON'T call me early in the morning :haha:

Cheers, Lee, aka ( model builder 4 )
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
"Well Blow me Down!" "I yams who I yam!" ;o) ( no, not Popeye but another of those whose real name seems like a made up mental exercise )
regards,
Painless Black Wolf
...Here for the Dawn...
tankme

Post by tankme »

I wouldn't post someone's name unless they use it on the forums and it would only be their first name. My start on the internet precedes the internet as in my first posts were on dial up bulletin boards. No one used their real names on those systems. I think the shift to names has come from things like Facebook where people post with their real names.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

The odd thing for me is that my mates call me Midlife, but on this forum as daft as it sounds Midlife feels too formal....
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Off topic”