Y'all need to ease up!

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
capt midnight
Corporal

Re: Y'all need to ease up!

Post by capt midnight »

And always remember.....

They're not dolls, They are ACTION FIGURES!! :thumbup:

I have to keep reminding the wife on that point.

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

My inflatable ones see plenty of action :)

There is too much aggression on this site. Its easy to misread an innocent comment as an inflammatory one (such is language) but why start arguments? Free speech is important but aggressive responses are immature. There were some interesting posts in that thread!

Ah well, back to my hybrid elevation/recoil/flash unit. Progress is s...l...o...w...!

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Perhaps, we could consider the etymology of the word 'Toy'. It shares the same root as the German 'Zeug' (pron: 'zoyg'..meaning:- stuff, or things), but even a plane in German is a 'Flugzeug' (flying thing).
To 'toy with' something meant just to use it once, or manipulate it. The problem comes from the assumption that children grow up into adults. At 21 (formerly 25) you were once finally an 'adult', or a 'grown up', on that particular birthday. It was then reduced to 18. At this point, you would be expected to dispense with all of one's former playthings, and pick up something more manly- like a submachine gun, for example...or a pipe, Sporting Life, slippers, and...well, a wife.
It's all too prescriptive. I don't think you can legislate someone's 'childhood' away. Those crucial formative years cast a very very long shadow. :D All the way to the grave, in fact.
I'll happily admit to being 'immature' (even though my joints need WD40 in the mornings, and leaving the sofa requires a sprinter's starting blocks)!.
Adulthood is something of a myth and, like birthdays, invented originally purely for inheritance purposes.
Thus, enjoy your models , and inventiveness, and don't feel remotely guilty about being as young as you feel, or wish. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Toys, TOYS !!!
Engineering Miniatures dear boy :haha:
And don't talk to me about German, people from foreign climes complain about the complexities of English as she is spoke,
No wonder, a lot of it came from German and just one example "Spiel" could easily fill a sheet of A4 with all its different sub meanings almost none of which appear to be related to each other.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jarndice wrote:Toys, TOYS !!!
Engineering Miniatures dear boy :haha:
And don't talk to me about German, people from foreign climes complain about the complexities of English as she is spoke,
No wonder, a lot of it came from German and just one example "Spiel" could easily fill a sheet of A4 with all its different sub meanings almost none of which appear to be related to each other.
:D English, when the English (Sachsen, Juten, Frieslanders) came here was anything other than complex, Shaun. It was the later Church and State that added all the ruling class additions and fancy trimmings. That was when 'Swine', for example, morphed into 'Pork' (Frogspeak) and so on. It's an interesting fact, though, that it's possible to write an entire (and meaningful) paragraph in words derived purely from Old English ( A West Germanic Tongue), where it would be impossible with other sources of loanwords such as Latin, Old French, and Norse ( a North Germanic Tongue).
'Spiel', incidentally, still appears in the English dictionary as a sub def. of 'Spell'. As an aside, Schweinfurt would be 'Swynford' etc., 'Tide' was time, and news was thus 'Tidings' (Zeitungen). Even plurals ended in -en, as in modern German..thus:
'Children' and 'Brethren' are relics of those days.
'Humpty Dumpty' is a playground song that came here 1500 years ago, and appears in most Germanic languages in one form or another. We all used to play the same games.. and into later life.
I liked to play around with word origins; but now that hobby has been crushed under the merciless tracks of 1/16 scale models. :D
I do like 'Engineering miniatures', by the way. :thumbup: But, how would that definition, apply to a 1:6 Tiger tank?
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

1/6 Tiger? Really big toy! ;) Hell my daily driver is a 500hp bright orange toy!
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Yep, its easier to call all boys' hobby things 'toys' because we all know how we really feel about our.....toys! Why feel offended by the term? WE known how important they are ;) Nothing really changes as we age, other than our sight deteriorates, our fingers become less sensitive and when we drop small parts we have to get our kids to find them. If we loved models when we were 5 years old, chances are we still will at 95. The main difference is that we have more money to spend on our toys. That's got to be a plus!

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

[quote="General Jumbo01"][quote

"as there isn't much new tank stuff at the mo'."

Have a care sir, I just finished final test of a Winterised Panzer 4 Ausf G,
Everything works and it sounds great considering it only has a Taigen V3 Board and an updated sound card, :thumbup:
Now where is that Panzer 4 Ausf H ?
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Off topic”