TV Licencing.

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
jarndice
Colonel

TV Licencing.

Post by jarndice »

Beware of a very convincing scam going the rounds,
The E-Mail purports to be a reminder that your TV Licence is due to expire and then goes onto request your personal details including information about your bank account.
The give away is the address of tv licencing on the header which should carry a "DO NOT REPLY plus code" The scam has an unrelated address.
If you need more information go to www.ageuk.org.uk
Our Licence is paid by Direct Debit so I was suspicious from the start but it still made me check that the direct debit was still in force.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: TV Licencing.

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

LOL, it's never ending.
Well, I've never given the tv licensing lot any email address ever.

Mind you, the BBC have already scammed the elderly, the agreement was that they could only put the licence fee up last time if they agreed to let the over 75's have a free licence, which they did, and lo and behold, the BBC reneged on that deal.

About time we abolished the fee. The tax payer is also subsidising Channel 4 for some reason?
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:LOL, it's never ending.
Well, I've never given the tv licensing lot any email address ever.

Mind you, the BBC have already scammed the elderly, the agreement was that they could only put the licence fee up last time if they agreed to let the over 75's have a free licence, which they did, and lo and behold, the BBC reneged on that deal.

About time we abolished the fee. The tax payer is also subsidising Channel 4 for some reason?
About time we abolished the BBC. Al Beeb is way too biased, and unashamedly PC. It's the propaganda dept of the Guardian newspaper and the Momentum wing of the Labour Party, in fact.
There are too many talentless lovvies there on huge salaries, as well. The money could be better spent elsewhere-on Homes for Heroes, for example, or buying back all the school playing fields that have been sold off. That might help to reduce kids' waistlines. I'm sure many here could think of a better way of spending the billions they receive. Maybe they could fill the '4,000 (pot)holes in Blackburn, Lancashire' :D .
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

I totally agree with you Roy. It is about time the Biased Broadcasting Corporation went on its own.

As for schools, I moved into a town so my daughter's could go to a grammar school, that school sold off some land to the David Lloyd centres. But, the up side, they had an agreement that the school had use of the swimming pool and some of the other facilities at certain times, win win for the school :thumbup:

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:I totally agree with you Roy. It is about time the Biased Broadcasting Corporation went on its own.

As for schools, I moved into a town so my daughter's could go to a grammar school, that school sold off some land to the David Lloyd centres. But, the up side, they had an agreement that the school had use of the swimming pool and some of the other facilities at certain times, win win for the school :thumbup:
Glad to hear it, Mick! In fact, one of my favourite websites is...https://biasedbbc.org
Also glad that you're giving your kids the best shot at a decent education. But, (and I spent a year teaching after UNI.,) I hope you won't mind me pointing out that '...daughter's...' should be written as 'daughters'.
The plural: 's' in English is never the possessive: 's. Thus, it's correct to say that..." Mick's daughters go to a Grammar School." (Good choice, by the way- I went to one :D )
There is no inverted comma (possessive) in plurals. Hence: Tanks, and not Tank's. :D It seems to be a common error these days, and a real niggle for me. It's a bit like Jarndice giving newbies 'six -of-the -best' for not reporting in properly. :lolno:
Sorry, mate, old habits die hard. :)
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Look, I never went to a grammar school ok, and I just took the easy option, accepted what predictive gave me :P but thanks, we gave the girls every chance we could.

So, you're a grammar Nazi. . . .
I so love starting a sentence with "so" just for you Roy :D

Thanks for the link, I've got quite a lot of evidence stored about how bias they are :thumbup:

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Eastern Front wrote:TV license....??????

What in the world would you need a TV License for, you going to start driving it into the town or something?

Cheers!
You know all those breaks you have over in the states during a show every five minutes to make a half hour show an hour long, and/or you have the show host banging on about some product or other, well, the BBC don't do that because it's public funded via the tv licence.
Although they have been caught out a few times with product placement in shows.

They also sell shows or the rights to copy shows they make around the world.

This all stemmed from the BBC being one of, if not the first to broadcast on tv, and I believe it was government funded, and the powers that be at the time decided they should collect extra taxes specifically for it, hence the tv licence.

jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I suspect that the abolition of the BBC is not the true object of your venom,
Perhaps the world leading programming in both Radio and Television as well as the pioneering work that the BBC engineers do and have done in concert with the Post office could find a place in a re-established commercially funded non-hierarchical organisation.
What I fear about changing the way the BBC is run is losing things like the "Proms" and other items that whilst erudite and often entertaining would not attract a commercial broadcaster.
But the recent scandal over Ms Naga Munchetty's criticism of Donald Trump and the subsequent negative comments by the BBCs higher management shows the Corporation in some would say it's true light and that alone should be a good reason for its demise. And don't ever forget the scandalous fashion in which male broadcasters have been living off the fat of the taxpayers pocket book while the ladies get the scraps.
Certainly the Archers would gain a new lease of life without the oversight of the Governments Department of AG & Fish. :haha:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Speaking of scams (which we briefly were!), I've noticed a repeating one where you get several calls per day where a recorded message tells you you've made a £600 unauthorised visa payment and to press various buttons. This is annoying because there is no one listening to swear at!

After a couple of days a very foreign voice call is received from BT security (who?) suggesting you pay them to stop nuisance calls. At this point you have two standard options, depending on how busy you are - 1/ Unload all that accumulated swearing and feel better, or 2/ String out the conversation and waste their time.

What really pees me off is that scam calls are only received when you are right in the middle of the trickiest of modelling operations :(

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

I love scam phone calls, if I've got the time, I keep them on the phone for ages wasting their time.

This chap has a camera set up for his Tiny Tim YouTube channel, was only a matter of time he'd get a scammer.

Watch "Tiny Tim speaking to a scammer" on YouTube
phpBB [video]

Return to “Off topic”