The real reason Germany lost the war, the succinct version.

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: The real reason Germany lost the war, the succinct vers

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Oil.
Germany was critically short of all the raw materials (and especially fuel) needed to run a 20th Century war. By the same token, Japan was also naturally bereft of the raw materials needed to make weapons
and fuels.
Once the Germans lost access to the Romanian oilfields, their fate was sealed. At the same time, Hitler's absurd make or break vanity project- the siege of Stalingrad, broke the back of the Wehrmacht.
Also, by 1944, even Britain was out-manufacturing Germany... :|
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Eastern Front wrote:LOL, you guys all have your facts WRONG!

The reason Germany eventually lost the war is really centered around a single event.. The destruction of the only toilet paper factory! Geesh!
NOPE, even you have it wrong Mr Front. . . .

What helped the allied victory the most was one particular American moral boosting "weapon" that was brought to Europe and didn't end up on the British National Debt. . . .

Nylon stockings, need I say more.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I was told that the thousands of Shermans did help to win the war, but only because the Tigers ran out of shells before the allies ran out of Shermans. Maybe l heard wrong? :D
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I'm not sure about them running out of shells, but I know the Tigers were outnumbered by the Sherman's by about 25 to 1. It doesn't really matter how good your tank is, when the odds are 25 to 1, you've got a problem.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

Hmmm.... I think 40,000 T34's may have had something to do with it too.... :D

What lend lease did was allow Russian support units to have mobility for their support elements that the Germans could only dream of. It was the 427,284 trucks that allowed the Russian forces to move as they did from 43 onward. The land war was really decided at Kursk. From that point on it was just a matter of time.
Roughly 75% of all German armour, 60% of all German guns, and 208 German divisions were destroyed on the Eastern Front... Compared to this the west from 44 on and Italy were just about keeping German forces from being concentrated on the eastern front...

What American AND Canadian participation (yes, we punched well above our weight) did guarantee was that you didn't speak Russian a little later... :haha:
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

dgsselkirk wrote:Hmmm.... I think 40,000 T34's may have had something to do with it too.... :D

What American AND Canadian participation (yes, we punched well above our weight) did guarantee was that you didn't speak Russian a little later... :haha:
Give it time :lolno: :D
Another factor, people often forget, is that while the Allies were almost full mechanised, in transport terms, the Germans (- much to the astonishment of some observers) still depended heavily on horses.
All that methane must have been unpleasant (as well as dangerous, to smokers) in transport columns... :think: :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
General Jumbo01

dgsselkirk wrote:Hmmm.... I think 40,000 T34's may have had something to do with it too.... :D

What lend lease did was allow Russian support units to have mobility for their support elements that the Germans could only dream of. It was the 427,284 trucks that allowed the Russian forces to move as they did from 43 onward. The land war was really decided at Kursk. From that point on it was just a matter of time.
Roughly 75% of all German armour, 60% of all German guns, and 208 German divisions were destroyed on the Eastern Front... Compared to this the west from 44 on and Italy were just about keeping German forces from being concentrated on the eastern front
Spot on.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

So scissors really did beat paper !
Lucky it wasn’t decided by a game of Rugby :/
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
General Jumbo01

Mr Bix, behave! Rugby is even more taboo than Brexit. :(
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Oh I know!!
I’m only just now starting to allow interaction with other humans after our loss
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Off topic”