The price of getting old.

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

The price of getting old.

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

So, I got to 50, and in came all the junk mail addressed to me from Saga etc. . . .

Now I'm 60, and I got a letter today, addressed to me in a plain envelope. Oh gosh, thinks I, I hope this isn't bad news or something.
I open it up. . . .

Bloody junk mail from a nursing home for Christ sake. . . .

Did make my missus laugh, she couldn't wait to share this with family and friends :/

She's now waiting for me to get mail from Stannah. . . .
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
c.rainford73
Major

Re: The price of getting old.

Post by c.rainford73 »

That is funny Mick :crazy: I'm already receiving AARP's ( Our version) mail here in the states and I'm approaching 50.....

Time does fly as they say....
Tanks alot.... :wave:
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Just wait a while. It's when you get the junk about funerals you really need to start worrying!
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I must confess that "Saga" Holidays is how we can afford to fly business class and spend three/ four weeks scuba diving in Mauritous each year. :thumbup:
And thank goodness because of "Saga" we don't get kept up all night listening to drunken youths shouting and spewing in the fine tradition of British young people.
The trips out to places of interest are really something else,
We spent an evening on a big Trimaran sailing into the sunset drinking cocktails the other year,
A magical trip to the Elephant orphanage in Sri Lanka has left me with a memory I shall never forget, followed the next day by visiting the old capital in the hills and going to the Buddist complex then watching fire walkers before returning to our cheap as chips 5*****hotel, Yes really, It was off season so they needed customers.
Walking around Old Havana in Cuba is a great way to spend a day surrounded by 50s American metal albeit fitted with Toyota diesel engines,
And because Cubana is not affiliated to the various airline intergovernmental organisations it meant the Hostesses were walking up and down the aisle of the aircraft selling Cuban cigars and lighting them up where requested. :clap:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Carl, you're as young as you feel.

Richard, don't give my missus ideas ;)

Shaun, I joined the Saga forum, "Saga Zone" when I was 49 to get an idea about their holidays etc.
Apart from discovering that I could book similar holidays much cheaper by shopping around, I made a mistake of posting a picture of myself (let's say I didn't look quite so um, run down then). And I got a bit too much attention from old ladies. I left the forum before I was 50 lol.

Seriously, if you avoid the usual tourist towns, you can get some real good deals in really nice places. And you can eat the food the locals eat that hasn't been altered to suit tourists. Mind you, that being said, you have to be careful what local food you eat in some countries, not so safe.

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon, Gentlemen,
I married younger than myself ( 20 years ). We are growing older with each other and still learning from each others perspective. It's been an amazing 20 years spent and I laugh because now the Mate is the age I was when we first got together. I am now breaking point for us into new territory. If I am young in any fashion, ( and I am ), I owe it to the energy of my Better Half's forever youthful outlook. We chuckle together over the age related junk mail now coming to us both. AARP has our number apparently. ;0) Don't any of you go anywhere, there is too much new to see and in our case, build.
regards all
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

No junk mail here !!! Still got a bad attitude and a general lack of maturity despite being 57 :haha:

However, I have, very recently, worked out that I no longer bounce! :thumbdown: Consequently I am currently recovering from a 30mph crash on my bike (no motors) with a load of road rash and a suspected fracture in my hip. Doctor said I'll be on crutches for at least a week - I idtched one after 3 days and the other one after 5 days - however I currently move at the speed of a striking slug!

I guess that in our heads we can be young but eventually our joints (and the rest of our body) will let us down :haha: Looking forward to my bedbath from th local nurse 8) :haha: :haha:
Always on the search for Bootneck-proof kit
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Fat fingers!

When l was a wee boy l used to read in railway forums posts from the older of the members about 'fat fingers', how they were holding back their modelling skills. What a weird excuse l used to think but now I'm an old git like they were at the time l fully understand and respect their claims.

The fingers become more rounded at the tips and the nails seem too far back to help pick little things up. The tips of the fingers (and other extremities) lose their sensations and all this adds up to the common complaint that is Fat Fingers! Yes, l now suffer this too.

With age also comes other problems. At 66 I've now been diabetic for 20 years (l was always a trend setter!) with all its associated problems and just a couple of years ago l lost my 'spin dryer' (medical name for colon) to two cancers. Did you know....the colon is 1.5 to 2 metres long and about 75mm diameter. That's a lot of meat! Luckily l had a good surgeon who saved me and avoided any bags, just lots of drying up tablets but hey - when you medicate for diabetes what another 12 tablets a day?!

But life has been good. Lost virginity at about 8 and then, not sure if I'd done it properly, made sure at 11 and have had a very full life with lots of wonderful ladies. Working in London banking l was lucky to retire at 50 which provided enough funds to pay off my mortgage and divorce and still have enough left to grab another granny and live well.

Hobbies have always been my primary objective though and I'm still loving it mixing anything RC but focusing now on tanks. Never boring ;)

Its good to hear we are all active and living the life, broken bones 'n all!

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Just wait till the adverts for coffins, funeral homes, and under takers start to arrive.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

jackalope wrote:Just wait till the adverts for coffins, funeral homes, and under takers start to arrive.
Sorry, can you speak up young man. . . .

Return to “Off topic”