Slot car chat thread.

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Slot car chat thread.

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Here ya go G J.
There is a few commercial raceways, dotted about, even places that will bring you portable tracks. They weren't my cup of tea as there are clubs all over.

This one is a club that hires its place out for functions/parties. I was sure there was a commercial track in Bournemouth, but they may have gone now.

Home
http://www.slotcarfun.co.uk/

I have driven on "huge" 8 lane tracks, but they were national and international tracks and only used for big competitions/events.

As for world championships, sadly there are world championships, and there are world championships, just like there are slot cars, and there are slot cars.

If the cars you witnessed that weren't as fast as you remember from the past, they wouldn't be the same type. And, like most racing, there are different classes of car, from the slowest (scalextric speed) to the fastest (24th open class sports wing cars).

I had scalextric from the age of six 1965, it was the latest new "flexy track,' my older brothers had the original track.

Then in the 70's I purchased Aurora AFX sets and track, along with the 24th Polistil sets and track.
Then the 80's came, and brought Tomy AFX, and even more sets and track were purchased along with the Tyco 64th stuff.
The early 90's brought Carrera 24th to my attention, yep, more sets and track.

When the new scalextric sport track came out, I did purchase some.
But more for the children in the extended family.

And that's only a drop in the ocean lol.

I've raced at scalextric clubs, and what we call HO clubs, that's AFX and other makes the same size. And also the club's where I've raced what I'd call true slot cars.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jackalope
Lieutenant

Re: Slot car chat thread.

Post by jackalope »

SLOT!....... Boy did I misread that! :haha:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
I had scalextric from the age of six 1965, it was the latest new "flexy track,' my older brothers had the original track.
Is this a typo, Mick? Don't you mean when you were six in 1865, and your very first slot car came with a key to wind it up in the days afore that new-fangled lectricity?

@) @) :haha: :haha: :haha: :shh: 8) 8) ;) ;)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Car, 1865 :think:
Unlike you Gary, I don't try and hide my age, but then again, your senility is here for all to see :P :haha: @)

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Car, 1865 :think:
Unlike you Gary, I don't try and hide my age, but then again, your senility is here for all to see :P :haha: @)
My senility? I thought you promised not to tell! The best part is, I'm constantly meeting new people. 8)

And don't you ever sleep? ;)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Max-U52 wrote:And don't you ever sleep? ;)
Not when you're on, I've been told to keep an eye on the trouble makers. . . .

43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
Then just take a peek in the mirror, Mick... :haha:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

43rdRecceReg wrote:
Son of a gun-ner wrote:
Then just take a peek in the mirror, Mick... :haha:
And here's another one that I have to keep an eye on during the day. . . .

See, no time to sleep :P I just power nap ;)

Hmm, mirror!? Me spending time looking into one? You have seen me, haven't you Roy?!

Ludwig von wigbearer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ludwig von wigbearer »

Hi all, used to have a large 8x13 Scalextric digital layout, it was permanent and fixed to purpose made tables, the wife wanted the dining room back so it had to go :thumbdown: still have a lot of cars though :thumbup:

regards john :wave:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Ludwig von wigbearer wrote:Hi all, used to have a large 8x13 Scalextric digital layout, it was permanent and fixed to purpose made tables, the wife wanted the dining room back so it had to go :thumbdown: still have a lot of cars though :thumbup:

regards john :wave:
Oh dear, wives just don't understand ;)

In a couple of weeks I'm going to post some pictures of parts of my collection, different makes, and scales.
I'm even going to post a special nostalgia thread for Herman, with a collection of AFX cars ;)

Return to “Off topic”