A simple lamp post.

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

A simple lamp post.

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

This year my daughter asked me to put up a clothes pole for a clothes line. No problem, she wanted it close to the boundary so it was out the way of the main garden, with the line going diagonal to the back of the house.

Well, me being me, I can't just do a simple job :D

So, I purchase a 13 foot scaffold pole, I drill a few holes in it for line attachment, and bury 3 foot of it in concrete in a hole in the ground (second hole, as the first had a water pipe near the bottom, and later, one of my legs :{ ).

I purchase an outside double socket, an outside double switch, an outside junction box, with enough cable glands for the job, a length of high tough cable, a reel of pond flex, various brackets and a couple of jublee clips, a pack of four gu10 garden ground spike lamps with four 5.3 watt gu10 led bulbs, six 3 meter lengths of overflow pipe with assorted connectors, and of course a washing line and all the fittings needed for it.

I fitted the outside socket to the wall of the house with the cable going through the wall so it could be plugged in to an internal socket. I then fitted the switch to the wall with a lead and plug on it to plug into one side of the outside socket. All safe and properly fused etc.

I ran two wires from the switch, one for one of the lamps on the house, and one to go to the clothes pole, the latter was run along the boundary on the ground within the overflow pipe which had strategic holes for drainage. Then it went up the pole to the junction box that was fitted to a T shaped bracket that was held to the pole with a jublee clip. Then the remaining three lamps were wired in and attached to an upside down frying pan which had three angle brackets for fitting to the pole.

I used pond flex because it's the only flex apart from armoured cable that can be left out in all weather's without breaking down. I used overflow pipe because it's cheaper than steel conduit, and plastic conduit is not recommend for outside. And because it is all plugged in like an appliance, local authority interference doesn't apply :thumbup:

The results :D and yes, I remembered to attach the clothes line lol.

Sorry, was starting to get dark when I took this.

It works. . . .

Just finishing off my handy work with the house lamp just wired in.

Oh, and the lamp sellers lied, there wasn't 2m of cable on the lamps, it was a foot shorter.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: A simple lamp post.

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Wardog wrote:Is this the german border control? :haha:
Don't be silly, this is in England, just getting ready for Brexit :thumbup:

However, UFO sightings have gone up in the area. . . .

Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “Off topic”