Peter Jackson's 'They shall not grow old'..

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Peter Jackson's 'They shall not grow old'..

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

They shall not grow old-a Tank shot.
They shall not grow old-a Tank shot.
I snapped this on the television, and it really doesn't do justice to the quality of Jackson's homage to our dead soldiers. Yes, sadly, it is a fact that they're all gone now. For our American cousins, I see that Warner Bros are planning a limited Cinema release sometime in December, and I'd strongly advise you to pop along and see it.
Notwithstanding Jackson's penchant for little people with hairy feet, (and No- I don't fit that description) and grizzled magicians, he's had a lifelong passion for all things WW1. In fact, he's collected so much stuff, he had to open a Museum to contain it. :O Ah, now there's an idea :|
Just to say that when the film transitioned suddenly from black and white to full colour, the troops seemed to spring into life- and almost out of the screen(like 3D). 8O :O It was truly astonishing. Luckily, I managed to record it on my HD recorder; but would love a Blu-Ray version of it.
The voices of the Tommies interviewed were incredibly stoic, resolute, and rich in the 'graveyard' humour it's necessary to have to survived anything like that insanity of all insanities. Millions of other (silenced) voices may not have been quite so philosophical.
When I was a boy, the survivors (and I saw lots with scars and bits missing), were in their fifties and sixties, in the main. My Grandfather survived, but lost two brothers, and another had a leg blown off. They've all passed on now....
One thing is certain, though, we'll never see the like of these men again.....except in this groundbreaking documentary. :shh:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
maxmekker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Peter Jackson's 'They shall not grow old'..

Post by maxmekker »

I never really got the hang of this . Was it made just recently and intended for cinema. ore directly on disc / tv ? Really would like to see it asap

------------------------Edit

Found more info about it . I hope it will show up here in Norway to on any format
Drammen Rock City
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Hi, Stian :wave:
The film can be viewed on BBC's iPlayer app; but I think access is limited to UK residents. There's more info here on the making of the film, and maybe there's a portal in from here:
https://www.1418now.org.uk
Still: "Battle of the Somme' segment in 'They shall not grow old'.
Still: "Battle of the Somme' segment in 'They shall not grow old'.
Given that Jackson, who made the 'Hobbit' and the 'Lord of the Rings', is currently commercial gold dust as a director. I'm fairly certain there will be a DVD/Blu-Ray release of the documentary before too long. The film was funded by the Imperial War Museum, The BBC (which makes and sells DVDs) and 1418Now. Given the rave reviews, it would make no sense not to recoup some of the costs. The Film was assembled and edited in the same Wingnuts studio that was used for 'The Hobbit', incidentally.
Here's Jackson (Whose Grandfather fought in a Welsh regiment in the Great War), talking about the project.
https://www.1418now.org.uk/news/they-sh ... n-bbc-two/
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
maxmekker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by maxmekker »

That BD disc cant come fast enough :thumbup:
Drammen Rock City
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

maxmekker wrote:That BD disc cant come fast enough :thumbup:
For me too. My Toshiba Hard disc recorder can only record in Single Definition (576i), whereas it was broadcast on the BBC at an improved rate of 720p. Even full HD (1020p) wouldn't really do full justice to it, but as yet most channels in the UK are still SD, with a handful at HD (720); virtually none at (Full HD) 1020p and still fewer now with the incredible 4K resolution. :thumbdown: Still, having a Hard Disc recorder means that I can burn the film to DVD, and save it, albeit without the crispness I'd like. :|
Blu-Ray should be eye-popping. :O
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Mr Jackson sent an agent(as it turned out) to my place when I was selling all my firearms collection to emigrate to Aussie.
He purchased my PpSh 41 SMG, all matching numbers, with dated matching sling, 2 drum mags, dated matching mag carrying pouches, cleaning kit, in pristine condition.............then he tells me he's Peter Jacksons agent. :/
Of course I hope one day my weapon will appear in a P.J. movie, but with so many made I assume it would be just one of many.
With all due respect to the man, he always looks like he needs a haircut & a scrub :problem:
My mum would have attacked him with the grey sand-soap !!!!!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Mr Jackson sent an agent(as it turned out) to my place when I was selling all my firearms collection to emigrate to Aussie.
He purchased my PpSh 41 SMG, all matching numbers, with dated matching sling, 2 drum mags, dated matching mag carrying pouches, cleaning kit, in pristine condition.............then he tells me he's Peter Jacksons agent. :/
Of course I hope one day my weapon will appear in a P.J. movie, but with so many made I assume it would be just one of many.
With all due respect to the man, he always looks like he needs a haircut & a scrub :problem:
My mum would have attacked him with the grey sand-soap !!!!!
:D :D
I know what you mean. :haha: At my school ( 1960s disciplined Boys' Grammar), while everyone began to sport the Beatles look- (and longer hair, later), the Latin teacher would enquire, routinely- but not in Latin ( :haha: ): "Is your hair hurting you, boy?'.
The usual puzzled response was then greeted with: 'Well, it should be, because I'm STANDING on it!!".

In Peter Jackson's film, new recruits were asked how they'd like their hair, when told off to visit the regimental barber. "Short back, and sides", was the style of the time, and when requested, was generally followed by a shave right up the middle. I guess that would have been a 'Short back, and shine' :lolno:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Just an update. I'm sure many of you will be aware that the Peter Jackson film is now out on Blu-ray and DVD, from Amazon, and other sources. I'd recommend the Bluray version as, oddly enough, at £14.99 it's cheaper than the one in DVD format (£16.45).
I bought it in Bluray format (standard ed.,) as it supercharges the already spectacular detail. For me, especially, I found the scenes of tanks going into action to be simply stunning. :O Footage of airburst shrapnel shells shows exactly how murderous they can be. I almost felt like ducking for cover.. 8O The coloured images in the film simply leap out of the screen at you. All those men are dead, and some have been dead for over 100 years, but they seem to come alive here, albeit briefly. :|
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Thanks for the heads up Roy :thumbup: Probably a poor choice of words for you feeling like ducking, and for those poor souls the film is about ;)
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Currently available on BBC iPlayer foc.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D

Return to “Off topic”