Peter Jackson's 'They shall not grow old'..

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Peter Jackson's 'They shall not grow old'..

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

silversurfer1947 wrote:Currently available on BBC iPlayer foc.
Yes, but not in Blu-Ray quality, Richard, and not for members outside the UK, I believe. :) Certainly a free option for some, I grant you. Personally, I still prefer to own physical media these days (CDs, DVDs etc.), than rely on streaming services. Not everyone has access to Fibre, nor even fast copper-based broadband. Then,..... there are the bandwidth quotas imposed by ISPs. :think: :) That's where the so-called 'Unlimited' packages turn out to limits after all... :eh:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Thanks for the heads up Roy :thumbup: Probably a poor choice of words for you feeling like ducking, and for those poor souls the film is about ;)
Au contraire, Mick, the choice of words exactly matched my immediate reaction at the time. Actually, can't see your point, old chap. :eh:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

As in don't put your head up in the trenches lol.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:As in don't put your head up in the trenches lol.
Yes, but our poor Tommies were not in the Trenches when they were attacking, were they, Mick?? :crazy: The movie depicts shrapnel showers on mounted units, as well as infantry. Ducking into a shell-holes under the marginal protection of the Brodie was all they had recourse to. Now, do you see why I wanted to duck? ;)
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Yeah, got you, as the first world war was a lot about trench warfare, I was making that connection.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

As a footnote to the film, some of the survivors said that they almost felt a sort of kinship with the Sachsen regiments in the field. But stated that they, and the Sachsen, both despised the ruthless Prussians.
Ironically, the English Saxons are in fact related to the Sachsen troops, both linguistically and genetically. Also, the word ''duck!' (as in "duck you suckers!) is actually related to the German word 'Tauch' (as in Tauchpanzer)...and not connected with the term for Donald's relatives. :D

This is what the OED says about the verb 'to duck':
"...Origin
Middle English: of Germanic origin; related to Dutch duiken and German tauchen ‘dive, dip, plunge’, also to duck...."
Great film, by the way, and worth watching more than once. But don't forget to duck :lolno: :S

Return to “Off topic”