Snow UK

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.

Postby AlwynTurner » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:05 pm

I think the inter cities and main line to Scotland may be running but local trains certainly aren't because my prospective son in law uses the sheffield/manchester train through New Mills to get to work and they aren't running at all, certainly there are no buses. The wind is now gale force and it's taken down parts of my fence and it's still snowing.

Alwyn
AlwynTurner
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby rochesb » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:15 pm

My son was working in in Liverpool this week, he decided to come home to the North East yesterday instead of today as originally planned. Today, 2 of his colleagues have got stuck on the M62 eastbound and another on the A69....... so it's not only trains having trouble crossing the Pennines .
rochesb
Lance Corporal

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:30 pm

971wright wrote:This isn't snow ,62-63 we had a bit of snow , I was at school then , they never closed a single school ,we had no heating in the school so we sat in class with our coats on one lad said he was cold answer was go and run round the playground till you warm up it was over four feet deep in snow in the playground .No one ever said they were cold again. When the coal wagon turned up the nearest he could get to the school was over a 100 yrds away ,so the headmaster got all the boys in the school to unload it 1st and 2nd year boys had a bag of coal between four of us 3rd year boys had a bag between two and the forth year boys had to carry a bag each these bags were 112 lbs each . Can you imagine what would be said now if this happened health and safety would have gone mad.
We had snow every day from December 21 till early march the temperature was down to -20C (plus wind chill) the sea at dover was frozen over as was the sea off the coast of France a total of four miles. The local pub the customers had to dig there way in to the pub as the snow was way over the door, see photos now and then .

regards pete

ps what ever happened to global warming

That Winter went on for months You modern 'Snowflakes' (how apposite :haha:) and Millennials haven't a clue...Even the infamous Winter in the Ardennes in 1944 was only a wee flurry by comparison.
Here we are waiting for the bus in Dumfries. Handily, you did nae even need the stairs to get onto the upper, smoking deck,.. :lolno: :crazy: Another two buses arrived shortly afterward... :shh:
Scottish Bus Stop- Winter 1962-63.jpg
Scottish Bus Stop- Winter 1962-63. the Big Freeze
Scottish Bus Stop- Winter 1962-63.jpg (76.18 KiB) Viewed 708 times
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby rochesb » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:58 pm

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Yet in Norway with much more snow, everything runs smoothly lol.

Agreed. in Norway they plan for snow, motorists have winter tyres which make a huge difference, most people in the UK don't bother with them. Many European countries have laws which demand motorists fit winter tyres during the winter months.
rochesb
Lance Corporal

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:37 pm

Just found this on Pinterest. It depicts a block of flats in Birmingham during the Big Freeze (Jan 1963). If they'd only taken the trouble to remove those autumn leaves from the gutters :problem: :eh:
Cop the two workmen in front, the one on the right is wearing the once ubiquitous 'Donkey Jacket'- favoured by workmen and left wing MPs; the other doesn't appear to be wearing a coat at all. Just a 'bracing day' I expect. :haha:
Believe me, refrigerator-like images like this one were everywhere. Sheep froze to death on the farm I was on, lost under snow drifts. Couldn't find them to bring them in from the blizzards. In fact, we didn't find them until the following April. Must have been heart-breaking for the sheep-shaggers down in Wales :haha: Mind you, ticks and fleas were having a hard time of it too..and as for poor earth worms. They became popsicles for the poor wee birdies... :shifty:
Birmingham Block of flats Jan 1963.jpg
Block of flats in Birmingham in 1963- during the Big Freeze.

Don't forget, without the Gulf Stream, this country would be as cold as Alaska all year round... 8O :O We ought to be better prepared, as we once were..
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby Max-U52 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:14 pm

Wibbs, you and Shaun crack me up. :haha:

Alwyn, when are ya gonna print yourself up a Snowcat? ;)

Roy, when you said "sheep-shaggers" the image that came to mind was a guy sliding down a snow covered road being towed by the sheep he had hold of by the tail. There's that common language again. :/ 8) :haha:
Max-U52
2nd Lieutenant

Postby wibblywobbly » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:05 pm

I went to the docs...was chatting to the nurse. She was looking all concerned and asking me 'what was it like out there'. I told her I drove there, the roads were totally clear, and she then starts going on about the side roads. I told her I live in a side road! Jeez, I then asked her how far she had to travel to work...she lived a mile away??

I then told her about '63, the snow was still on the ground in June, every morning during the deluge we opened the front door to face snow above head height, and yet the milk was there in the porch without fail. The post was still delivered, we still went to school, dad still went to work. There were no snowploughs or gritters in those days. Roads were thick snow and sheet ice several inches thick. When we ran out of coal, my brother and I had to push an old pram 5 miles to the coal yard, buy a sack, and push it all the way home in the dark, through thick snow, and it was absolutely freezing, no thermal jackets existed! No central heating in those days either. My brother and I did a paper round as well.

I can't believe the garbage being spouted in the press and media, the war generation knew what hardship was, and this was all just another irritating thing to cope with.

It was soon discovered that the quickest way to clear a road was to tell a few passing Yorkshiremen that someone had dropped a five pound note somewhere along this way...
Attachments
1947-kent_1787838i.jpg
1947-kent_1787838i.jpg (38.36 KiB) Viewed 685 times
wibblywobbly
Major

Postby silversurfer1947 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:30 pm

That winter, I failed to get to school for just one day. School was open, but the bus never turned up and as it was 11 miles away, I was not going to walk. Other than that, everything was much as normal - ice on the inside of my bedroom window every morning. You did not hang about when it was time to get up. What I do remember was the free school milk froze solid in the bottles.
silversurfer1947
2nd Lieutenant

Postby wibblywobbly » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:00 am

Got up this morning, there is about 2" of snow on the ground. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is moving, I live near the Ring Road, not a vehicle to be heard. Everyone has stayed home from work?? It's unbelievable, not a single tyre track in the road, so no one around here has left their house. It's not exactly the siege of Stalingrad is it? When I lived in France I used to drive 20 miles in snow ten times worse to get a bottle of milk! 8O
wibblywobbly
Major

Postby silversurfer1947 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:50 am

You got off better than me. 6 to 8 inches in the back garden and it has drifted round and over my car. It sat up to it axles in snow with about 18 inches covering the bonnet and windscreen. I'm going nowhere today.
silversurfer1947
2nd Lieutenant

Postby wibblywobbly » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:04 am

My sis and her husband live outside of Toronto, she is laughing at what is going on here. She sent me these pics a few years ago.

201_0129.JPG

201_0138.JPG

201_0135.JPG

This is my driveway... You should move south Richard, we have a tropical climate this side of town. :D

IMG_20180302_095751.jpg
wibblywobbly
Major

Postby silversurfer1947 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:24 pm

Not looking good. Just been out to feed the birds. Heavy snow falling and the wind had dropped, so it's packing down quite hard.
silversurfer1947
2nd Lieutenant

Postby wibblywobbly » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:06 pm

Well if you fancy moving to warmer climate with easy access to a large supermarket, I can make my place available for a very competitive price.... :haha:
wibblywobbly
Major

Postby 971wright » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:37 pm

What bugs me are the schools ,one minute they want over £400 to take your kid skiing, where the snow is a couple of metres deep .Next they close the school because they have 5mm of snow. I pointed out that how are they going to go skiing and get there because its well over 5mm .I am dammed sure the schools would be open if the teachers didn't get paid for not turning up, I know I didn't get paid if I didn't go,one guy I worked with lived up on the moors high above Burnley in a farm ,he never missed a day but he did turn up in a JCB one time pinch it from his dad.

regards pete

971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Postby wibblywobbly » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:18 pm

It annoys me when the AA/RAC tell people not to travel unless absolutely necessary. Who the heck are they to give advice? The simple truth is that they know the more people they can keep off the roads, the fewer breakdown calls they will get, and that will save them a fortune. They couldn't care less how many businesses suffer because the staff haven't turned up for work.

On top of that road salt doesn't work unless vehicles drive over it. No traffic means the roads just turn to ice when otherwise they would be clear.

My sis just emailed me to say that they don't even send out the gritters and snowploughs for less than 2" of snow in Canada as they don't consider it is worth it! lol.
wibblywobbly
Major

Postby jarndice » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:49 pm

How can you become an all weather driver if you don't drive in all weathers? :thumbdown:
So that when you find that the sunny wintry morning has turned into a snow filled day while you were at work and now your cautious approach to motoring is about to get your car into a ditch on the way home. :thumbdown:
When I was in Germany in the service we had a transport Sgt who ensured that every license holder would get behind the wheel of a Landie or an AEC 6 wheeler whenever it snowed and there would be a convoy snaking around the local lanes for the rest of the day,
Everyone learned how to drive in bad weather in that unit. :thumbup:
If you don't have access to an Army convoy :haha: take yourself and your car to the nearest industrial estate at the weekend and practise.
Shaun.

jarndice
Captain

Postby RobW » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:04 pm

Watch out for hidden curbs in carparks, and no, I didn't find out the hard way!

RobW
Staff Sergeant

Postby RobW » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:15 pm

Having seen some of the driving this week I wouldn't trust them with scalextric cars!

RobW
Staff Sergeant

Postby rochesb » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:07 pm

971wright wrote:What bugs me are the schools ,one minute they want over £400 to take your kid skiing, where the snow is a couple of metres deep .Next they close the school because they have 5mm of snow. I pointed out that how are they going to go skiing and get there because its well over 5mm .I am dammed sure the schools would be open if the teachers didn't get paid for not turning up, I know I didn't get paid if I didn't go,one guy I worked with lived up on the moors high above Burnley in a farm ,he never missed a day but he did turn up in a JCB one time pinch it from his dad.

regards pete

Schools cannot operate without staff.... & not just teachers. They need catering staff, cleaners, caretakers, classroom assistants, technicians & admin staff, some of whom have to rely upon public transport as not everyone can afford their own transport or live within easy walking distance to their workplace. Many of the support staff are legally needed for the health, safety, and welfare of the students and staff. If key staff are not available a head teacher cannot open their school.

I know this because a) I was chair of Governors at a large secondary school and b) was network manager at another secondary school.
rochesb
Lance Corporal

Postby Max-U52 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:34 am

I've always known that people who live in places where it rarely snows tend to freak out when it actually does snow, and I was in Houston, Texas in 82-83 to watch that city shut down for an inch of snow, so I can sympathize with you guys. I also think this is a good time to reflect on just how lucky you are to have a more temperate climate for most of the time. Here in Detroit, it was 18C on Tuesday with clear, sunny skies, and yesterday (Thursday) we got 6 inches of snow in about as many hours (around here we say, "If you don't like the weather, hang around about 15 minutes, it'll change"). That's routine stuff for Detroit, and this is the banana belt of Michigan. On the north shore of the U.P. there are places that get as much as 240 inches (yes, that's 6 meters) a year, and you can still find drifts in the woods into the first week of June.

So it's kinda like when Wade Garret asked Dalton what was goin' on and he replied, "Nothin' I ain't used to, but it's amazin' what you can get used to." So take the day off, build a snowman, and have a little fun with it. @) 8) :haha:

:wave:
Max-U52
2nd Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic