Snow UK

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Snow UK

Post by Max-U52 »

43rdRecceReg wrote:
rochesb wrote:It's the only time of the year you can sit outside & escape the midges
The notorious Midge has evolved to bite people selectively @) : it prefers the English, in particular :haha:
The "notorious Midge"? I thought that particular "Midge" was white and furry, but I imagine she likes to bite the English as well, eh? @) @) :haha: :haha:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Well the beast arrived and dumped 3 inches of snow last night so only the main routes are open and even then with care, for the rest unless you've got a 4x4 it's stay at home day. It's so cold the salt/grit isn't working so I guess Derbyshire will now come to a halt. It's also the fine powdery stuff so it's drifting which means that Woodhead, Snake Pass, Cat & Fiddle, Holme Moss are all closed plus many more smaller routes.

What fun!
Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Snow UK

Post by midlife306 »

90 bloody minutes to travel 5 miles to work this morning, what is it with people, they see a little bit of snow & immediately lose what little driving ability they had, grrrr....
Me having uprated suspension & semi-slick tyres didn’t help lol
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

It’s the numpties with 4 wheels you’ve got to watch out for lol

Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

midlife306 wrote:90 bloody minutes to travel 5 miles to work this morning, what is it with people, they see a little bit of snow & immediately lose what little driving ability they had, grrrr....
Me having uprated suspension & semi-slick tyres didn’t help lol
Cheers
Wayne

Sorry, Wayne, but in Escanaba ... That's swimmin' weather. @) :haha: :haha: ;)

:wave:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

I went to Chicago a few years ago in December, it was bloody freezing, the wind off the lake is a killer.
I might just take your recommendation & try out my purple posing pouch later

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

We now have blizzard/whiteout conditions here with drifting snow in a strong wind and it's just dropped another 2 inches of snow with plenty still to come......... 8O :crazy: :problem:

Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Here's what I saw moments ago from my front door. I was sunning myself yesterday, but the Beast from the East has finally bridged the Wall and is now assailing The 'Wildlings' up here in Wester Ross. Fans of 'Game of Thrones' will get the references. I live 300 miles North of 'The Wall' and yes, we are pretty wild! (not.. :haha: ). Luckily, the Grampian and Torridon mountains resisted the blast from the Ice King (Putin.. :haha: )..until this morning
I have to laugh at the BBC (biased broadcasting Corporation) by hinting that Russia (Beast from the East) is to blame for the bad weather, along with everything else that might threaten its support for all liberal things beginning with 'multi-" (but not 'Multi-tool :haha: )..., or for assailing its self- appointed moral highground on everything.
Gary, that's not Midgie frozen to death there. It's just a Westie guard monument. :D
Beast from the East overtops the Wall to assault the 'Wildlings'
Beast from the East overtops the Wall to assault the 'Wildlings'
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
Ware the weather out there. You all need to come to Colorado and experience the deep powder out here at least once in your lifetime. It is bracing to travel through pathways cut into snow higher than a rooftop.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:D ..Ach, this is nothing compared to the Winter of 1962/63, Painless. There were 15 ft snowdrifts in places; trains were fitted with snowploughs- (and they worked, not like todays' snowflake choo choos that react badly to the 'wrong kind' of snow..Really! :O ) :haha:
I was on a farm at the time, and it was possible to drive tractors over dry stone walls (because they'd disappeared). Apparently, even the sea froze up to four miles out from Dunkirk. Hmm.. pity it didn't do that in 1940, as it would have saved the 'Mole' a lot of needless bother. :think:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Off topic”