Snow UK

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Snow UK

Post by AlwynTurner »

I think the inter cities and main line to Scotland may be running but local trains certainly aren't because my prospective son in law uses the sheffield/manchester train through New Mills to get to work and they aren't running at all, certainly there are no buses. The wind is now gale force and it's taken down parts of my fence and it's still snowing.

Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
rochesb
Lance Corporal

Post by rochesb »

My son was working in in Liverpool this week, he decided to come home to the North East yesterday instead of today as originally planned. Today, 2 of his colleagues have got stuck on the M62 eastbound and another on the A69....... so it's not only trains having trouble crossing the Pennines .
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

971wright wrote:This isn't snow ,62-63 we had a bit of snow , I was at school then , they never closed a single school ,we had no heating in the school so we sat in class with our coats on one lad said he was cold answer was go and run round the playground till you warm up it was over four feet deep in snow in the playground .No one ever said they were cold again. When the coal wagon turned up the nearest he could get to the school was over a 100 yrds away ,so the headmaster got all the boys in the school to unload it 1st and 2nd year boys had a bag of coal between four of us 3rd year boys had a bag between two and the forth year boys had to carry a bag each these bags were 112 lbs each . Can you imagine what would be said now if this happened health and safety would have gone mad.
We had snow every day from December 21 till early march the temperature was down to -20C (plus wind chill) the sea at dover was frozen over as was the sea off the coast of France a total of four miles. The local pub the customers had to dig there way in to the pub as the snow was way over the door, see photos now and then .

regards pete

ps what ever happened to global warming
That Winter went on for months You modern 'Snowflakes' (how apposite :haha:) and Millennials haven't a clue...Even the infamous Winter in the Ardennes in 1944 was only a wee flurry by comparison.
Here we are waiting for the bus in Dumfries. Handily, you did nae even need the stairs to get onto the upper, smoking deck,.. :lolno: :crazy: Another two buses arrived shortly afterward... :shh:
Scottish Bus Stop- Winter 1962-63. the Big Freeze
Scottish Bus Stop- Winter 1962-63. the Big Freeze
Scottish Bus Stop- Winter 1962-63.jpg (76.18 KiB) Viewed 2531 times
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
rochesb
Lance Corporal

Post by rochesb »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Yet in Norway with much more snow, everything runs smoothly lol.
Agreed. in Norway they plan for snow, motorists have winter tyres which make a huge difference, most people in the UK don't bother with them. Many European countries have laws which demand motorists fit winter tyres during the winter months.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Just found this on Pinterest. It depicts a block of flats in Birmingham during the Big Freeze (Jan 1963). If they'd only taken the trouble to remove those autumn leaves from the gutters :problem: :eh:
Cop the two workmen in front, the one on the right is wearing the once ubiquitous 'Donkey Jacket'- favoured by workmen and left wing MPs; the other doesn't appear to be wearing a coat at all. Just a 'bracing day' I expect. :haha:
Believe me, refrigerator-like images like this one were everywhere. Sheep froze to death on the farm I was on, lost under snow drifts. Couldn't find them to bring them in from the blizzards. In fact, we didn't find them until the following April. Must have been heart-breaking for the sheep-shaggers down in Wales :haha: Mind you, ticks and fleas were having a hard time of it too..and as for poor earth worms. They became popsicles for the poor wee birdies... :shifty:
Block of flats in Birmingham in 1963- during the Big Freeze.
Block of flats in Birmingham in 1963- during the Big Freeze.
Don't forget, without the Gulf Stream, this country would be as cold as Alaska all year round... 8O :O We ought to be better prepared, as we once were..
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Wibbs, you and Shaun crack me up. :haha:

Alwyn, when are ya gonna print yourself up a Snowcat? ;)

Roy, when you said "sheep-shaggers" the image that came to mind was a guy sliding down a snow covered road being towed by the sheep he had hold of by the tail. There's that common language again. :/ 8) :haha:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I went to the docs...was chatting to the nurse. She was looking all concerned and asking me 'what was it like out there'. I told her I drove there, the roads were totally clear, and she then starts going on about the side roads. I told her I live in a side road! Jeez, I then asked her how far she had to travel to work...she lived a mile away??

I then told her about '63, the snow was still on the ground in June, every morning during the deluge we opened the front door to face snow above head height, and yet the milk was there in the porch without fail. The post was still delivered, we still went to school, dad still went to work. There were no snowploughs or gritters in those days. Roads were thick snow and sheet ice several inches thick. When we ran out of coal, my brother and I had to push an old pram 5 miles to the coal yard, buy a sack, and push it all the way home in the dark, through thick snow, and it was absolutely freezing, no thermal jackets existed! No central heating in those days either. My brother and I did a paper round as well.

I can't believe the garbage being spouted in the press and media, the war generation knew what hardship was, and this was all just another irritating thing to cope with.

It was soon discovered that the quickest way to clear a road was to tell a few passing Yorkshiremen that someone had dropped a five pound note somewhere along this way...
Attachments
1947-kent_1787838i.jpg
1947-kent_1787838i.jpg (38.36 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

That winter, I failed to get to school for just one day. School was open, but the bus never turned up and as it was 11 miles away, I was not going to walk. Other than that, everything was much as normal - ice on the inside of my bedroom window every morning. You did not hang about when it was time to get up. What I do remember was the free school milk froze solid in the bottles.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Got up this morning, there is about 2" of snow on the ground. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is moving, I live near the Ring Road, not a vehicle to be heard. Everyone has stayed home from work?? It's unbelievable, not a single tyre track in the road, so no one around here has left their house. It's not exactly the siege of Stalingrad is it? When I lived in France I used to drive 20 miles in snow ten times worse to get a bottle of milk! 8O
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

You got off better than me. 6 to 8 inches in the back garden and it has drifted round and over my car. It sat up to it axles in snow with about 18 inches covering the bonnet and windscreen. I'm going nowhere today.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D

Return to “Off topic”