Tank trailers

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
Roboticus_Prime
Corporal

Re: Tank trailers

Post by Roboticus_Prime »

RP RC

Hey, I got an idea...

Tanks: HL M26 Pershing, HL M1A2 Abrams, Taigen M4 76, HL M45 Pershing, 1/18 PZ IV, VS Abrams, [coming soon]
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Good find :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Looks like it's made for the Tamiya fifth wheel? (EDIT: Duh, read the label next time!) :/ )

Chase, Erik showed me a project on thingieverse for a zil 137 with a powered trailer, made mostly from wpl parts with quite a few 3D printed parts to make it all come together. I think there's a link in the truck mods thread.

The Kane trailer ain't as good as it looks. Here's a video on the one I just got

phpBB [video]

The Bruder is much better, cheaper, and provides lots more options, like towing it with the dolly for an extra 12 bucks. I just ordered two more Bruder trailers, no dollies, but they seem to have gone up to $45 each. Bummer. Outback toys is a great place for all things Bruder.
Last edited by Max-U52 on Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

General Jumbo01 wrote: you will need more than a WPL based truck to pull even one tank.
Nice trucks. I know you've got some loot sunk in those.

My JJRC Q60 on a 2S lipo pulls the bruder trailer and dolly quite nicely (see video in truck mods thread) with an all plastic Sherman and I think with a 2 speed gearbox and 380 motor it will handle a metal Sherman. Once I get the truck built with the two speed tranny I'm going to put my JS2 on the trailer and see how she does. The JS2 is almost all metal and one of my heaviest tanks, so it should make for a good test. Of course, I know better than to even try grass with it. 8)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

midlife306 wrote:Funnily enough I’ve just bought a Bruner tractor unit from EBay, the listing says rubber tyres & working suspension, if it is as it says I stole it for £15Image
Bruder 1:16 MERCEDES BENZ ACTROS TRUCK 4143 Yellow Tractor Unit Made in Germany https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2896449555
Beware though some Bruner stuff is very basic with plastic tyres with a hollow back.
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whatever happened here, Wayne?
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Well, it has sat gathering dust ever since, rubber tyres = backs missing as normal & the working suspension = slots in the chassis Doh!
It’s just too modern for me, I might RC it one day for the grandson
2.42am, I’m off to bed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Just to clarify, the Bruder low loader trailers come in both sunshine yellow and raging red :) but are authentically modelled so with some modelling skills can be turned into seriously good looking kit for silly low money.

The wheels and tyres appear to be one price moldings but on close inspection are in fact two different plastics, the rims being a sort of sink bowl material and the tyres a more rubbery, grippy plastic and once weathered look great. The 'suspension' slots allow the axles to rise and fall over rough surfaces so you won't see wheels lifting off the ground when you run over your DIY patio stones!

I've added storage boxes and winches to the raised front areas and tow hitches to the rear along with lighting and various authentic signage plus, for wider loads, removable warning triangles - just like the army do.

With all those extras and a Tamiya fifth wheel pin, a great low loader for a tank comes in at around £50. If you modify them as l did to longer 4 axle trailers (you get a full 2 axle example too!) you'll splash out another fiver for a cut piece of aluminium plate to fit beneath the deck to reinforce it all. You'll need the longer conversion for IS-2, KV1, King Tigers and Leopards etc.

They tow perfectly, are very robust and look much better than commercially available ones costing far more than tank! BUT... to make them look correct operationally, you do need a heavy, high powered low geared hauler and this is where a Tamiya truck really fits the bill but the good news is that with full function mfu and esc you can buy them new for around 350 in the sales, almost 1/3 the price of a their tanks.

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
General Jumbo01

Note: Full function mfu for Tamiya truck, the GT Power example is every bit ad good as the Tamiya ones with better control interface and costs around 35 to 50 quid!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

All that's fine, but Tamiya trucks are 1/14 and to my eye just don't look right with the tanks. I'll stick with WPL/JJRC and upgrade as needed for the job at hand. With a bit of skill, a 3D printer and a few upgrade parts they can be made into some seriously robust little trucks, and they match the tanks for scale.
General Jumbo01

That's true, the never ending problem of scale. To my eye, the US haulers are easier for me to accept. However, the chassis on the Tamiya with its big torquey stock sized motor, easily and cheaply replaced by an even higher torque 80 turn motor and their standard 3 speed gearbox to which l add a 2 speed reduction box in the transmission, with properly damped suspension is so much better than trying to improve a lightweight cheap chassis. However, its simple to reduce the wheel sizes to 1/16th and the wheelbase to suit a 1/16 body so you can have a really good 1/16 hauler of your choice.

Return to “Off topic”