Electric Vehicles

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
Jay-Em
Corporal
Location: The Chilly and Flat part of the Netherlands' North.

Re: Electric Vehicles

Post by Jay-Em »

Funny that all the hullabuloo conveniently skips past the main problem of cars: there are too bloody many of them.

Being stuck in a traffic-jam in an electric- or a petrol car is exactly the same amount of annoyance, being that the electric car uses tiny amounts of power when completely halted, especially if the assembled toys inside run on embedded solarcells f.i.
Oh, And being unable to normally navigate inner-cities due to cars parked everywhere. That won't change one bit.

*shrugs* being the cynic that I am, to me that blurb about prohibiting the SALE ( just the SALE ! ) of petrol- and diesel cars from 2040 on sounds more like virtue-signalling, than an actual plan.

And me? I'll be in my 70's by then, never had a drivers' licence, but by then màybe still able enough to ride an electric bicycle, charged from my 3kw solarcells that feed into a Tesla home battery ( Solar cells since 2010, and already saving for the battery) . :P
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

http://oilprice.com/Metals/Commodities/ ... rtage.html

Woops, good luck getting mining permission and dealing with the Congo !!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

There needs to be a massive change in electrical storage or generation systems before this becomes a reality. On motorways, my car will travel 600 miles on a full tank and can be refuelled in 5 minutes. To the best of my knowledge, no electrical powered vehicle can get near this. Fuel cells would appear to be a much better bet. The only waste product is water. However, the problem with them is how to produce the hydrogen.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Richard, Hydrogen is the most prolific element in the Universe,
Producing it is not the problem storing it safely is the problem.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Hydrogen may be prolific in the universe, but in its raw state on earth, is very rare. Most is currently produced from fossil fuels or by electrolysis. Most stars are, of course, virtually 100 per cent hydrogen. Unfortunately, no one has yet found a way to extract it ;D
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Funny how the concept of electric options being "greener" than ole dead dinosaurs often overlooks the production difficulties of the very means by which this green energy must be harnessed.!

Im glad I am in the oil business.............and this article puts it pretty simply.
Want or not, we are simply no where near a realistic turn around.
The planning and production of the base resources to transition is going to be worse than the thing its supposed to replace !! :haha:

Plus, I dont care is its a normal car or one powered by the sun.................a line of stopped traffic is a line of stopped traffic !
Its the number of cars not the type that is the problem. And man is by nature independent, so does not take easily to the regimented confines of a risky public transport system.
Regardless of how good it is, its a public transport system, like a public toilet !!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I think in the next few years we will be living in the age of the Hybrid before the Fuel cell is perfected along with fuel distribution and Maintainance facility's,
The good thing is that the danger of a World War through an ever shortening availability of Oil Products appears to be reducing as the demand for Petroleum products gets less.
As to queues of cars,
In my grandchildren's lifetime the whole public attitude to car ownership will change as people get used to the idea of tapping out a text for a self driving vehicle to come by to take you to the office the kids to school and the wife to the shops then for it to go back to a central holding and recharging centre until it is needed again.
It will be public transport but not as we know it Jim.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

HERMAN BIX wrote:http://oilprice.com/Metals/Commodities/ ... rtage.html

You'll just find The Congo suddenly finds is self requiring some US style freedom!
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Funny how the concept of electric options being "greener" than ole dead dinosaurs often overlooks the production difficulties of the very means by which this green energy must be harnessed.!

Im glad I am in the oil business.............and this article puts it pretty simply.
Want or not, we are simply no where near a realistic turn around.
The planning and production of the base resources to transition is going to be worse than the thing its supposed to replace !! :haha:

Plus, I dont care is its a normal car or one powered by the sun.................a line of stopped traffic is a line of stopped traffic !
Its the number of cars not the type that is the problem. And man is by nature independent, so does not take easily to the regimented confines of a risky public transport system.
Regardless of how good it is, its a public transport system, like a public toilet !!
Regarding the last point, I would disagree. Take London where you have a modern intergrated public transport system, most commuters use that rather than be stuck in traffic an hit by a congestion charge.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

tomhugill wrote:
HERMAN BIX wrote:http://oilprice.com/Metals/Commodities/ ... rtage.html

You'll just find The Congo suddenly finds is self requiring some US style freedom!
LOL
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/

Return to “Off topic”