Who knows how to use a tin opener?

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Who knows how to use a tin opener?

Post by Will01Capri »

Hello
Yes this is completely random, but i thought i would sahre an educational video from my wife Catherine. She runs WCP RC Models.
Anyway we were having a laugh a while back and had this great idea to share an informative video of how to use a tin opener to our friends as we were watching a tv program and laughed our heads off when someone on the TV was asked 'do you know how this thing works!'

Anyway i am pretty sure Catherine doesn't know i posted the said video on Youtube hahahaha, so i thought i would share it here with you.

If anyone has any ideas on other things for Catherine to do informative educational videos on, then please let me know.

I am on the look out for a very old fashioned manual opener aswell as i think i will even enjoy watching Catherine using that haha :haha:

phpBB [video]

Please feel free to share openly and enjoy the laugh
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Who knows how to use a tin opener?

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I got one....... This is what’s called “ A Jack”
It’s used to raise a vehicle called a car, to assist n a process called “ changing a flat tyre”
Most millennial numptards call a local vehicle break down service or ask with a blank look “ isn’t there an app for that”

I assume that poor Mrs WCP has gone past “ how to get male juveniles of all ages to put dirty clothes INTO the washing basket, not on the floor next to it ”??!!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Initially I got round the problems with "Jacks" by being the proud owner of a Citroen CX Familiale. When the inevitable rust which was inherent in just about every car in Britain in the latter part of the 20th century ate the CX I went to more conventionally suspended vehicles and bought a little 4 wheeled trolly jack with removable handle paired up with a sawn off length of builders plank it is perfect and it takes up hardly any space and every October when I swap the tyres for winter tyres it takes no time at all.
Halfords for no money, trust me it is no money well spent. :thumbup:
Can/tin openers ??? I have not needed one for years not since ring pulls were introduced :haha:
I think the only cans needing an opener are the Frey Bentos Steak and Kidney pies :thumbdown:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

In the US there are still a majority of our "tins" (we yanks call them cans), still need a can opener although most use an electric one. I do still have a hand crank can opener in the drawer as a spare. I would hate to see a younger person try to use the old US GI issued P38 can opener that was issued to troops. :D Now that would be a funny sight.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
WCP RC MODELS
Corporal

Post by WCP RC MODELS »

tankme wrote:In the US there are still a majority of our "tins" (we yanks call them cans), still need a can opener although most use an electric one. I do still have a hand crank can opener in the drawer as a spare. I would hate to see a younger person try to use the old US GI issued P38 can opener that was issued to troops. :D Now that would be a funny sight.
If you can get us one, I will do it! And YES i can see this Mr Capri (Hubby)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

In the days of composite ration packs (Compo) there was a tiny little brown hinged piece of metal included in each box,
It was the can/tin opener and it was a very useful bit of kit that was to be found in every soldiers pocket.
I never found a can/tin it could not open It of course included a bottle opener,
I doubt it took up as much as 40mm X 5mm when open :thumbup:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

" I would hate to see a younger person try to use the old US GI issued P38 can opener that was issued to troops. Now that would be a funny sight." I keep two of them. At the university some years ago, three or four frustrated colleague Professors who couldn't find a can opener stood pouting and bemoaning the unopened five-pound coffee can. I walked in, asked what was the matter, and on hearing their pleas, whipped out my trusty P38. They laughed until I handily opened the 5 pound can with not so very much effort. Ah a moment of triumph. :D Of course, I am not "a younger person," nor was I even back then. :problem:
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

And that's the great part about the P38 - it's small enough to put on a keychain and carry it everywhere.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

tankme wrote:And that's the great part about the P38 - it's small enough to put on a keychain and carry it everywhere.
Caveat Emptor !!!
Just make sure you get the original because there are copies of the British Military and the US Army openers on sale (Amazon, E-Bay) but the metal used in their construction is so soft as to make them useless.
Timbo68
Private

Post by Timbo68 »

I acquired my US military can opener when confined to the accommodation blocks due to a very severe weather phase on one of my visits to Thule AFB (long story...) and we had to break out the emergency rations in the hut. I have it, somewhere, to this day...

Return to “Off topic”