Auto insurance - how does it work where you live?

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
wibblywobbly
Major

Re: Auto insurance - how does it work where you live?

Post by wibblywobbly »

I can shed some light on how premiums are calculated, having worked in the business. How are premiums calculated and what affects them?

Well it's not the car. Pretty much any car can be repaired for a few thousand, even a total write off is probably only going to average 10k.
Annual mileage? If you state that you only do 2k miles per year you will be considered high risk because you will not be used to driving. If you do more than 9k you will be considered high risk because you are on the road so much. From what I recall 6k was the magic number, but this was a few years ago.

Postcode? Yes, high theft rates will increase the premium.
Garaged? Doesn't make a lot of difference. As long as it is parked off the road at the policy holders address, it will not be considered high risk.
Age? Anyone under 21 is considered high risk. Once into retirement it increases again with age.
Alarms and Immobilisers? Slight risk if one is not fitted. Manufacturers system is ok.

Occupation? This makes a big difference, as this is where the easiest liability can be calculated. I seem to recall that a Project Manager was pretty low? The highest risk was a football club manager. Why? Because if he is carrying 5 first division players and has an accident the payout would be into the millions, even for fairly minor injuries.

I am also amused at the way that premiums are calculated. I had a Mini Cooper, £120 a year fully comprehensive. Hated the lack of suspension so sold it and bought a Volvo Estate (ok, a sporty version) which I thought would be rated as an old duffers car. £280 a year??!! I took comfort from the fact that it does over 50mpg and the road tax is only £20 a year.

And a word of warning, never ever register or insure a son or daughters car in your name with the son or daughter as named drivers. The insurance companies are wise to this, and have an arsenal of tools to prove who really owns the car, and who is the main driver. They can, and will, revoke the insurance, and add you to a blacklist that will be circulated to all insurance companies. In the event of a claim they will ask you for the full backdated premiums before they will pay out.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

For the past few years my insurance just being going up! More no claims 10+ on couple of cars but steadily going up without any claims!

I am 32 and have more cars than I should.

But to start.
Alfa 156 GTA 3.2 v6 with more or less every modification box ticked for mechanical changes. Reckon she is 280hp.
Roughly £300

Alfa 156 Sportwagon 2.4jtd family car. Looks like a shed but had a lot of mechanical rework and remap and is £200

Mini Cooper S 1.6 Supercharged. Little tweaked here and there. £120

Some old.classics aswell which are circa £100 each.

I live countryside and clock up a few miles.

My friends south of the border are envious of the cheap.insurance rates living in busy suburbs. I can insure all.my cars for less than 1 of theirs! Hahahahha
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Lol. Blessed by living in the country in probably one of the cheapest counties ever haha.
Just a big kid so I apologise if it looks like a show off. That's not my nature. I just get carried away when talking cars hehe. Must drive my wife mad! She is very tolerant
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!

Return to “Off topic”