Hello fellow tank lovers!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
hamasaki
Recruit

Hello fellow tank lovers!

Post by hamasaki »

Hello everyone,

Just recently took a big interest in world war 2 tanks and fell into a rabbit hole that led to model kit building. I'm new and am looking forward to getting a lot of practice and hopefully be able to build a 1/16 model with a working RC engine to drive around with. I don't know how many years it will take but that is the goal. Hope to share some projects with you guys here soon!
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Hello fellow tank lovers!

Post by Ecam »

I did a bunch of various smaller scales over the years, but I have really enjoyed 16th scale. Tons of options out there and plenty of help on here. Many start with the Heng Long Tiger 1 (however it is one of the models that require a bunch of tweaking to get it right, but not neccesarily much money. I spent nothing on mine. I do have a good stock of fabricating supplies). I tend to work with the Sherman based kits. Plastic tracks and sprockets are just fine for running about.

I recomend starting with a cheaper kit that suits you and dig in. The addiction is strong with this group. Once you feet are wet, you will know what you desire on you second, third, fourth..........

Welcome aboard.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
If you are already building your Tanks then its too late your HOOKED :haha: :haha:
Enjoy this place and do ask lots of questions.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

:wave: A fine possibility for a start if you want to build the tank yourself is to choose one of the Torro (or Taigen—same thing) kits. You get ready made electronics, but you can paint and even modify details as you build. Where are you? UK? US? Japan? Getting a kit without expensive shipping depends on where you are. Whatever you choose, have fun and do not hesitate to ask questions.
hamasaki
Recruit

Post by hamasaki »

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! I appreciate all the tips as well. I haven't quite decided on what scale I want to stick to. I want to do 1/35 because there is more armor choices, but it will also take more space and a bit more pricy. 1/72 on the other hand is probably cheaper and take less space but the details might not be as pronounced. I will most likely try both for now and see which I prefer. I'm based in the US so not sure how hard it will be to find models I like. I'm also researching which brands are good to start with. So far Tamiya seems like the overwhelming choice. I'm looking forward to everything! Still waiting on my tools and paints in the mail. Very excited!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I would think 1/72 would be quite tiny for fitting in electronics; however, I have seen incredibly work here on RCTW. As to 1/35, for a start, check out the posts by modler: he posts frequently here, puts up videos, and has been working on 1/35 for quite some time: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8308.
Paddyslot
Private

Post by Paddyslot »

Hi and welcome
HENG LONG JAGPANTHER
Torro T34
H/L KING TIGER V1
H/L SNOW LEOPARD
H/L TIGER 1 V7
3x Taigen tiger1
H/L SHERMAN V6
H/L SHERMAN FIREFLY
2X H/L KING TIGERS V7
Taigen t34
H/L PANZER III
H/L PANZERIV
H/L Abrams
H/L KV1
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Welcome. There is no treatment for this affliction. The rest of use just do our best to deal with this debilitating illness the best we can. Usually starting a bunch of tank project at once will alleviate the symptoms, but that only works until a new tank hits the market. I notice increased reports of symptoms when that happens. Crying doesn't seem to help, but having an understanding mate goes a long way. A credit card with a decent limit seems to garner some temporary relief, but once again that only lasts until the end of a billing cycle or until the significant other finds out how much money you've been spending on remedies. Retirement from regular employment seems to help some, but alas I won't be able to for quite some time.

Good luck!
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “Introduce Yourself”