Good Morning!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
a65l
Recruit

Good Morning!

Post by a65l »

Hello all from Sunny Virginia! I've been a long time R/C hobbyist, aircraft mostly but I've always kept my fingers in other aspects of the hobby. I've always looked longingly on Tamiya tank models, and have had a Hen Long and a VS tank in the past, but I find myself in a position to be able to own a few. My wife and I also keep up with several acres of land, and associated maintenance equipment, and a couple old cars and trucks, so always something to do. And I keep on acquiring more projects, so I should (theoretically) never be bored, although I might be broke!
A little nonsense now and then
Is treasured by the wisest men
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Welcome to another Yankee! "Broke," "out of moola," etc., are All-Systems-Normal for some of us hobbyists (I have 1/16 RC AFVs, 1/16 static models, 1/16 farm toys, O-Gauge trains and books books books on same). For the bucks, if you want to get a good start on spending and fun before going bonkers with all kinds of upgrades and modifications, I recommend https://www.taigentanks.com/. If you want to see to what excess this can lead, check out my sins at viewtopic.php?f=33&t=30720. Scroll down to see a freeze in the moment of the ever-growing, ever changing indulgence.
a65l
Recruit

Post by a65l »

Oh, I've been flying since 2004, and playing with cars/etc before that.. believe me, I'm very familiar with my bank account being in the red. Since my new neighbor has a pond, and lets me have access anytime, I've also started in on boats, and some subs. Talk about expensive...
I passed on buying the expensive Tamiya that I was after (Leopard A6) and found, on ebay, two KT's, one the production turreted Jade green mess that I've asked a question on, and one new in the box, Porsche turret non full option kit. Both had for paltry sums, when nobody else bid. I did also spend more than I wanted on a Flakpanzer Gepard, which is going to be another project, but a little further down the road. Well, who am I kidding, I'm working from home and in meetings a lot, so:

I see I'm just a little behind the curve on some aftermarket parts, here and there, as well.. but I do have a 3d printer (well, 2 of them, actually) so I'll be scouring for STL's... (Porsche 88 muzzle brake would be a nice find) and doing some simple designing myself.

Aha, so much potential:

BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Welcome sir!

Looks like you've got a good start. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

a65l wrote:Well, who am I kidding, I'm working from home and in meetings a lot
Welcome. I laughed as that's me. I've wondered into my hobby room during meetings to dabble a bit, but that is about to end as I've been called back to the office starting on the 9th.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Welcome aboard from Southern Illinois! I buy cheap tanks and spend my loot on electronics. I’m sure it’s a form of sickness.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

a651,

Good to have you with us! Nice collection and I believe I spy a little BMW i3 in the background? I'm a BMW fan from very long ago. Sorry I digress...again!

Cheers and enjoy yourself here,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
761st
Private

Post by 761st »

Welcome. Always room in the rabbit hole!
a65l
Recruit

Post by a65l »

EAO wrote:a651,

Good to have you with us! Nice collection and I believe I spy a little BMW i3 in the background? I'm a BMW fan from very long ago. Sorry I digress...again!

Cheers and enjoy yourself here,
Eric.

Sorry for the delay in replying...

Not my I3... that was the seller of the Gepard's picture. I hadn't received it when I made the post... I was a BMW Motorrad tech for years, but never really got a hankering for the cars.
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

a65l wrote:Image
Ah, the Tamiya Gepard. Awful, AWFUL kit. I can in good conscience not let you build that, but I will be willing to dispose of it for you responsibly and eco-friendly. I will pay for shipping so you can send that awful AWFUL thing to me...

*grmbl*

Where do all these people find those damn Gepards!?!...

Anyway, welcome. Be prepared to be richer in joy but poorer in financials... I don't know why they call them "tanks"... money-pits more likely... ;D
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
Under construction; Sherman Firefly IC - M3 Grant - Sherman BARV
... No, I do not have a problem....

Return to “Introduce Yourself”