Greetings for London

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Martin62
Recruit

Greetings for London

Post by Martin62 »

Hi Everyone, new member from SE London here :wave: I have a Heng Long Challenger 2 (in NATO camo) with metal HL gearbox.

So far I've made only a few mods to it - dual-link tracks (+plastic pads), a 6Ah battery (goes for hours and hours!) and some DKLM sprockets/idlers, but I want to improve the low speed driving and sound. Currently it rattles along quite loudly, which I assume is the gears in the gearbox?
I want to replace the HL 5.x mainboard with something like a TK6.0 or Clarke TK40. I'm leaning towards the TK40 as it has the Challenger 2 sound :)
Ludwig von wigbearer
Staff Sergeant

Re: Greetings for London

Post by Ludwig von wigbearer »

Hi and welcome, Just got myself a challenger 2, my first modern tank, loads of info and helpful advice here.

regards John :thumbup: :thumbup:
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Welcome Martin! :clap:

The Challenger II is a nice tank with lots of opportunity to upgrade mechanically, electronically and detail wise, should provide lots of fun. :thumbup: :thumbup:

However unless they have reinforced the Idler Mounts be careful with the metal tracks the Idler Mount are/were prone to cracking! :(

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Cheers, Martin! As you can see, there are even some colonials here on RCTW. In London, you are close enough to get access to goodies for your Challenger (and the next tank, and the next tank...). Germany is even better, but I understand your VAT is as hefty as out shipping costs. Keep us informed of your magic transformations and roll out the questions as you have them.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Welcome from Illinois! I looks forward to seeing your progress with your tank. Upgrading electronics is very satisfying.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Hello M62,

Always loved the big "Chally"! Such a fine beast! Have fun here and ask any questions you like! The guy's here are amazing!

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
761st
Private

Post by 761st »

Welcome! Post a pic when you can.
Martin62
Recruit

Post by Martin62 »

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Barry - one of the little idlers broke off already :haha: I think a stone must have gotten in between the track and chassis and sheared it off at the base :-( I glued some little cap-head bolts into all the idler mounts from inside the chassis to reinforce them - I think it was M3 bolts, about 15 mm long. There's a little hole in the mounts and the bolt shaft fits in there perfectly - haven't had one break off since, touch wood! Maybe a worthwhile mod?

Return to “Introduce Yourself”