Hello from the UK and Salisbury plain

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Tank_U_Tim
Recruit

Hello from the UK and Salisbury plain

Post by Tank_U_Tim »

Hi to one and all,

I am from the UK in a small town called Devizes, not much goes on but can hear the British army firing their guns on Salisbury Plain where they do the tank training. (Very rarely see a tank)

I have always enjoyed modelling and as a kid went through tanks, boats and planes. Most got destroyed when my grandfather bought me an air pistol. Got into RC cars after that and still have the first one (still running) I made, the good old Tamiya Hot Shot.

Even back then though I really wanted a Radio controlled tank and of course everyone's favourite and stand out tank from world war 2 ........... yep you guessed it the Tiger Tank. Its has taken me some time to get round to buying one. I got the idea a few years a go after buying my nephews 2 small 1/72 IR tanks, which they loved and now that they are older I looked into RC 1/16 tanks for them as a Christmas present. I got very lucky browsing a toy auction that had a HL Challenger 2 and an Abrams both had been upgraded with steel gears and new motors as well as metal tracks and wheels and new batteries all for £300, which I thought was a steel. Once I had picked the tanks up checked them over and of course driven them to make sure they worked, I realised I wanted one.

So browsing started for a Tiger 1 RTR unpainted. I looked on here for advise and good sites to look at. The best deal I found was from Torro.de, a Tiger 1 full metal Torro pro IR unpainted but with a full set of paints included in the price and could get it delivered before Christmas. So come Christmas day my Nephews were over the moon and tank battles started in the garden and my Tiger 1 rolled majestically across the gravel.

Also there is one film to blame "Kelly's Heroes"..... say no more.

Now the fun begins.... learning how to take it apart and starting the painting process.

Look forward to asking for advice and showing the progress of my painting ... when it starts. :D

Thanks to all
Tim

A couple of pictures as I know everyone likes those (if I can work out how to upload them).

stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Re: Hello from the UK and Salisbury plain

Post by stu_the_flat »

Hello and welcome! Was just reading a book that mentioned sailbury plain. Enjoy the tanks. I feel painting it my Achilles heel in the process even though I do enjoy it... Just not that great at it! :)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Hello, Tim, and welcome to the Forum. There's a huge archive here of tanks being built, refurbished, enhanced- even printed. You'll have little difficulty finding all you need to know about painting one, and giving it an individual identity. Just ask, or use the 'search' feature. Delving deep could occupy an awful lot of your spare time, but it won't be wasted. :thumbup:
Relative proximity to visible tanks at Bovington, should also make your forthcoming addiction (one most of us share...) an easy one to satisfy :D :wave:
Nice start, by the way, with the Torro. :thumbup: If I were you, though, I'd switch from using Photobucket to Imgur. Imgur is free and doesn't splash irritating 'Photobucket' text logos over all images, often marring their appeal and utility. Worse still, these images vanish from our archive into the ether, if you don't pay their 'ransom' demands. :/
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Tim Hi, Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
Can't beat getting the children involved, now all you have to convince is your bank manager and whisper it low, "The Wife" :haha: :haha:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Welcome from Illinois and that was a great introduction. .22 rifles and homemade napalm destroyed most of my early models.
AGKPeiper
Lance Corporal

Post by AGKPeiper »

Willkommen! A fine tiger you have there, looking forward to seeing it develop. You also have my envy as my wife and I hope to move down to your neck of the woods one day. Lovely area and much closer to Bovington.
Tank_U_Tim
Recruit

Post by Tank_U_Tim »

Hi All,

Thank you for the warm and friendly welcome. I shall make sure I make the most use of the information here and help from you all.
I certainly will have a go with Imgur as forgot photobucket had its logo all over.
I have to earn some brownie points with the misses and find where i can paint the tank, but looking forward to starting that soon and will provide pictures.

It is lovely down here and I need to start visiting Bovington again.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Hello T_U_T,

A right proper introduction and pictures too! Very nice! Enjoy yourself here, there's so much to see, learn, do, and talk about! Glad to have you with us!

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

Hi Tim, and welcome,
I'm not to far from you myself (Southampton) and am planning another Bovington visit too - well actually, I already got my tickets for the next Tiger Day in April (just hoping my son can take me again, he he).
Nothing like getting up close and personal with some of these monsters. :D :thumbup:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”