Newbie from Scotland

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Lenny Warren
Private

Re: Newbie from Scotland

Post by Lenny Warren »

lmcq11 wrote:
Lenny Warren wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome, glad to see the forum busy. I've ran and admin'ed forums for over 20 years (militaria collecting) and sadly they seem on the decline, youngsters seem to prefer Facebook etc
Welcome to the forum. I think the decline in militaria collecting is due to the abundance of replicas. It takes an expert to notice the differences. My father was a collector of WW2 uniforms, caps and other regalia. He was purchasing left and right, many from firms advertising authenticated items from veterans, widows, etc. When my father passed away, we decided to sell his collection. I sent the stuff to a specialized firm dealing with medals and uniforms. It was shocked when 95% of it was sent back to me as "fake". Although they looked really old and worn, most of the uniforms were old war movie props worth nothing to the expert. So, instead of trying to resell the stuff as if i did not know, we mostly give it away. Sadly, that was my father's experience with militaria collecting... Something we should stay away from if we are no expert. Too much fraud out there.
I've collected militaria for over 40 years, but have been disheartedned so many times over the years due to the fraudsters and con men, it really is rife. I still write a monthly column in the Armourer magazine (UK) and sort of stick to German belt buckles. ;)

I've always loved museums, so spend more and more time visiting them, Bovington being my favourite....
Lenny Warren
Private

Post by Lenny Warren »

Woohooo… finally got my first, and second tank… love them. Thanks to Tom Hughill…

Lenny Warren
Private

Post by Lenny Warren »

I’d decided as I’m more a Militaria collector/amateur historian than modeller to buy ready made/weathered.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If you have bought from Tom Hugill then you really could not have done better,
His historic accuracy and build quality are well known within the hobby :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Well, you couldn't have picked them from a better source, Lenny. :D :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Perfect.
And they both seem to look right at home in that setting too !
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Lenny Warren
Private

Post by Lenny Warren »

jarndice wrote:If you have bought from Tom Hugill then you really could not have done better,
His historic accuracy and build quality are well known within the hobby :thumbup:
Yeah, Tom was really helpful and was good to meet up. Happy with my deal...
Lenny Warren
Private

Post by Lenny Warren »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Well, you couldn't have picked them from a better source, Lenny. :D :thumbup:
When I thought about the cost of buying a new Tamiya Tiger, building it, painting, weathering etc. the it was a no brainer to just get them from Tom. The quality and detail is superb...
Lenny Warren
Private

Post by Lenny Warren »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Perfect.
And they both seem to look right at home in that setting too !
I'm more of a miltaria collector/historian than a modeller, so they fit right into my man cave. Real Panther track should be arriving any day now to sit next to them. ;)
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Hi Lenny,

Yup, buying one of Tom's tanks is always the quick way to gaining a beautiful, well researched, amazing model. He's sold some beauties in the past. I'm still kicking myself for not snatching up a Panther of his! It was beautiful! Anyway, nice job!

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”