Hello and question on pairing HL Tiger 1 with new crystal

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
dacurd
Recruit

Hello and question on pairing HL Tiger 1 with new crystal

Post by dacurd »

Hi, i have taken my Heng Long Tiger 1 out of hibernation and doesnt seem to want to come to life. I have purchased a new battery and new crystals but i dont seem to be able to get it to pair. I cant find the original manual to identify the pairing switch on the chassis, any thoughts or suggestions? cheers Duncan
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Hello and question on pairing HL Tiger 1 with new crysta

Post by Jimster »

Welcome aboard! The Tiger 1 is my favorite tank.
How about expanding your introduction a bit more like what part of the world you live in, any other past rc experiences and such. It really helps us with advice such as possible vendors near you and what type of repairs you might be familiar with and so on.
dacurd
Recruit

Post by dacurd »

Hi Jim, in Ontario Canada. I was able to get all 4 tanks runnning, HL Tiger 1 (Metal running gear), HL Panther (all plastic), HL Tiger 2 (all plastic) and full metal chassis Taigen Tiger 1. I bought these used back in 2019 and 3 of them have NiCad battery packs which i assume are just not able to be fully charged. I have little RC experience but plenty of real world military as well as both Napoleonic and ACW re-enacting (Artillery and Infantry). I am trying to find local vendors for 1/6 scale figures and vehicles but have drawn a blank so far. Any suggestions (including Detroit or Buffalo area) would be welcome.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Awesome. I dabbled in ACW re-enacting as well (Union infantry). Too old now!
We have a few folks here knowledgeable about the crystal technology but honestly that’s getting to be a pretty outdated system. Someone should chime in sooner or later. Good luck to you and thanks for that fine introduction.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Hello from your southern neighbor. Thanks for the extras about the tanks you have--and your success at getting them running. :clap: Yes, the yellow-wrapped NiCad batteries that come with most HengLong tanks were not too good. I have mostly Taigen tanks, and I long ago got a good (not at all expensive) charger and switched to NiMH batteries or LiPo when necessary. Others here one RCTW will urge you to go directly to LiPo batteries because they pack more charge-per-ounce. Charging those LiPo batteries is a bit trickier, and might not be worth the trouble if you do not intend to run your 1/16 tanks much.

Of course, if you do want to run them outdoors, you can right the slippery slide to unending hobby expense :/ , challenge, and FUN. :D Read around RCTW to the ooh goo gobs of information here, keep us informed, and ask questions. I am hoping that soon someone might indicate a source of 1/6 figures and AFVs. The inevitable eBay is likely one route, followed with care. My experience suggests that 1/6 is really limited and expensive for RC AFVs, even for static models. E.g. two somewhat local stores, Big Bear Hobbies in Milwaukee hibernated and never re-awakened and The Ship Chandler in the Chicago area went under, both over a decade ago. :(
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Hello Duncan,

Glad to have you with us! There are a couple of 1/6 vendors specializing in gear mostly. Check out the sub section "Recommended Vendors" to see what's out there. However, I don't think they're even remotely close to you. Good luck with your quest and happy to have you with us!

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
dacurd
Recruit

Post by dacurd »

Thanks Herr Dr and EAO

will check into things!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Duncan, Welcome to the forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
There is no real advantage to keeping a crystal powered Tank especially when the hobby is full to bursting with much greater potential using upgraded control boards from all manner of providers,
Some are simply plug and play others need a little more work BUT all are far superior to your present set up.
Go on live dangerously and step into the 21st century :haha: You won't be sorry.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”