New from Arkansas in the US

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
cannon jockey
Recruit

New from Arkansas in the US

Post by cannon jockey »

Greetings from the state of Arkansas in the US

I just bought my first new RTR RC tank--a Henglong Panzer IV Ausf F2 upgraded with metal road wheels, idler wheel, drive sprocket, tracks, and gearbox, with version 7.0 electronics. I used to build 1/35 static models many years ago and did build possibly one of the very earliest large-scale Tamiya RC Shermans kits that they put out back in the mid-1970---yes, I do mean over 45 years ago. These came with no features other than the ability to run on the ground--basically a static plastic model shell over a metal hull with two motors, reduction gears, and tracks. I bought a cheap second-hand two-channel Futaba transmitter with servos at the local hobby shop to run it. Of course, I quickly tired of it since there was nothing to do but run around the yard and it ate up six of those old large C cell batteries at a time like crazy. I never got around to ordering a large hobby rechargeable for it before I sold it to a friend.

However, after looking at the capabilities of the new crop of RC tanks and being retired I thought why not--so I got the Panzer IV as a Christmas present to myself. I do plan to do a bit of detailing to the tank plus a repaint with some weathering but have noticed some ahistorical structural details on the model I received, so I may be asking a few questions on what would be the best approach to correct. I've still got my airbrush and compressor plus quite a few hobby tools packed away so I'm kind of anxious to get back into it.

Cheers
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: New from Arkansas in the US

Post by BarryC »

Greetings Sir!

Welcome to the finest RC Tank site on the web. :clap:

You will find knowledgeable and help folks here. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Welcome. Lots of info here as this is a melting pot of tankers from around the world.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

CJ Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
I hope you enjoy this place although you will get the odd smartar*e telling you more than you really want to know-------------- So here I go :haha:
Heng Long and Taigen continue to call the Panzer 4 Ausf G the Ausf F2, They are the same vehicle, there were 175 Ausf F2+24 Ausf F converted to F2 and 1,927 Ausf G, which is why most people disregard the F2 appellation, The Heng Long and Taigen PZ4 share a major error in that the rear of the Tank should slope by 5 degrees from the Back of the turret down to the rear of the Tank but the two makers have a flat rear unlike Tamiya's Ausf J, The Heng Long Turret is inaccurate because the turret rear box should not project above the turret roof and it should not be touching the turret except by the top and bottom side mounting clamps,the main gun mantlet is just wrong BUT all is not lost Taigen who had for too long used the same turret pattern finally produced a really nice accurate PZ4 Ausf G turret which with a minimum amount of work will fit the Heng Long PZ4,
Across the two makers a lot of parts are interchangeable the major exceptions being gearboxes and electrics.
Do ask lots of questions and get involved in any thread you are interested in.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Yes, welcome CJ!. Retirement's the perfect time to check the loft or attic for long-forgotten hobby stuff. If not the loft, or the garage, then the more nostalgic cranial archives :D Yes, it's great to be repatriated to things we once loved, or to rediscover interests :wave: The Pz IV, with updated accessories and electronics, represents an excellent re-entry point to the hobby!. The question now is, what will you buy yourself for Easter? :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
cannon jockey
Recruit

Post by cannon jockey »

Thanks for the kind words of welcome all.

@jarndice. The first thing I noticed was the storage bin/box issue and after doing a search on the forum I also read and was made aware of the rear deck issue. I'll post my thoughts and questions about this in the regular forum rather than take up any more space here.

Cheers
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Hello Cannon Jockey!

I'm just North of you in Central Missouri, but we do have a cabin in NW Arkansas. Central Arkansas must put you around Little Rock I'm guessing? Our cabin is by Eureka Springs; well actually to be more correct, it's in Holiday Island. A truly beautiful state to call home.

You've come to the right place to find info, advice, and camaraderie. And for the Panzer IV, you've already heard from our resident expert, Jarndice. :thumbup: :wave: Enjoy yourself here and have a look around, truly the best bunch of guys anywhere!

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”