Hello from NW england

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
badger44
Recruit

Hello from NW england

Post by badger44 »

hello, always had an interest in scale model tanks(and the real things!) and now is about the time to indulge in a good hobby. I`ve worked in engineering all my life, served my apprenticeship with the RoF, where i was lucky enough to walk the challenger production line once. garage contains a small lathe and milling machine which keeps me from getting under the wife`s but close by if i can make anything for her for her garden on my machines ( my excuse for having them and she`s quite happy with that). all i need mow is to pick my first model. Hmm where to start!
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Hello from NW england

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Hello badger44 and welcome to the forum :wave: it's good that you already have a place that you can work out of the way, this hobby is addictive and the more hiding places that you have for your growing army of tanks the safer you'll be from the wife :D Take a look around the site and especially the builds and show off sections and I'm sure that you will find something that takes your fancy for your first tank, please let us know when you do choose one and perhaps we can point you in the right direction to a vendor :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

How do Badger44 & welcome along.
If you’re struggling with what to get first I suggest you go to Blackpool model show next weekend at Norbrek Castle.
There will be lots of 1/16 tanks there, ask for me & I’ll talk you through the selection.
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

:wave: Greetings and Salutations, Oh Lucky One: a wife and a machine shop, too. I like the advice to "go to Blackpool model show next weekend." I wish I could do so, but it's a bit far from Wisconsin, USA. Keep us informed of your choice(s), ask questions, and send us pictures if you don't mind. Gee, I'm excited to see what you pick for your first tank! :)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

;D Garage, milling machine, and a lathe too. Oh, you lucky man!. There are too many slopes in my garden (Highland brae) to permit a garage, without major excavation- and all the flatter locations are already taken up. :thumbup: Anyway, it sounds to me as if this is the ideal time, especially considering the workshop waiting in the wings, for you to take the model tank plunge :thumbup:
We all have our preferences; many go for WW2 models (No 1, historically has been the Tiger 1, partly because of third-party upgrade options for it); but look for something more exotic, perhaps.
There are also post-war enthusiasts, who go for the Challenger, Leopard, and Abrams. My advice: ask where the history is (as that's a significant part of the the hobby), and what appeals to you. Then mooch around to see what's available. Then, you'd better check with the 'trouble and strife' to see what boundaries (financial and other) she'll allow you to cross. :eh: :D Especially financial... :shifty: :haha:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Welcome B44,

With your background, workshop, and lathe, something tells me that you'll fit in just fine with these guys!

Let us know what tank you decide on, and have fun!

Cheers,
Eric.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
badger44
Recruit

Post by badger44 »

thanks very much guys, work has stopped me going to Blackpool(shame its only an hour away) but I`ve been given the royal nod for any more that come up and the OK for Bovington in the spring,for Tiger Day, have to admit always had a liking for this tank , but...as you`ve all pointed out a damn good project with a difference is always good, once again a big thanks and now let the research begin!!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Indeed, a project with a difference is good. Yet the best choice is the one that you will enjoy, regardless of how many others are around. This is all about fun. Heck, if it were some kind of competition (beyond the friendly fun of the TOTM), I would have lost out years ago. I am still excited about what you choose, especially if you find it fun.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Welcome aboard from Southern Illinois. Your wife’s garden would make a nice proving ground for your upcoming tanks.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”