Hello From NYC

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Phaserburn
Recruit

Hello From NYC

Post by Phaserburn »

Hello!

I live in the greater NYC and am looking to get involved in RC Tanks. I joined this forum to try and find groups in the North East corner of the US, it seems there are a lot of inactive clubs haha. Anyways I'm new to the game and don't currently own anything. Looking at the Tiger 1 and would love any guidance on options and quality.

Thanks in advance!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Hello From NYC

Post by Jimster »

Welcome from Southern Illinois! My wife and I have visited NYC twice in the past few years. Before the COVID era. The Tiger 1 is a great first tank and the only tank I own.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi, Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
The Tiger 1 is almost certainly the most popular first Tank for people starting down the fastest path to bankruptcy ever invented :lolno:
It has more upgrades available and even though less than 2,000 of them were ever built they have always maintained that popularity.
Tamiya sell the Tiger 1 as a kit which is very expensive, Taigen/Torro give you a choice of a Kit or RTR and a host of different specifications based on price as does the originator of affordable r/c Tanking, Heng Long,
Those are the three most well known makers there are many more.
I suggest you read the different builds on the Forum via the Menu this will give you a rough idea of what is doable for a tyro as well as what inbuilt faults come with your Tank and how best to rectify them,
Enjoy this place, Ask questions and join in any thread that interests you,
We try to be a friendly bunch but being British based you may meet some puzzling words and phrases,
Don't worry we have a very large and most welcome American Membership who will disentangle you from the confusion of proper English and your nations strange approach to it :haha:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi, ??? :{
thestig
Lance Corporal

Post by thestig »

Phaserburn.

Welcome from SE Pennsylvania! As you have discovered RC tanks are not a very popular modeling option in the US.

I acquired a Taigen RTR Tiger 1 (metal edition) a number of years ago, and I would recommend you give it consideration. I’ve found it to be a dependable runner and and an easy to work on platform. You can modify it to any degree you desire, or your budget allows.

Enjoy the addiction.

Frank
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If you do decide to buy a Tiger 1 I would strongly suggest you buy one of the following,
The Tamiya kit although its electrics are getting dated,
The Taigen Version 3 NOT an Earlier version or the Heng Long Version 6.0 definitely not an earlier version,
These will be a little more expensive but If you buy an earlier version you will be both disappointed and out of pocket having to upgrade later to a version 6.0 Heng Long or the Taigen V3.
Heng Longs Nylon Gearboxes are way better than Heng Longs Zinc Oxide (Metal) gearboxes this can be readily identified by it's grey colour and that it will not attract a magnet,
The Heng Long Black Metal gearboxes are very good value and will attract a magnet.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

“If I had known then what I know now”.
I would buy a nice aftermarket board capable of custom sounds (Elmod Fusion Pro) and a good hobby grade radio (Radiomaster TX16S) and build a tank around it.
I went about things backwards and spent a fortune for upgrades. Hindsight is 20/20.
However, many folks are happy with toylike tanks just to run about the house a bit. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. It’s a hobby for anyone’s taste.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Hello: I hope you are dry and safe in all the storm weather. I second the choice of "The Taigen Version 3 NOT an Earlier version." The Heng Long Version 6.0 is fine, but I find the sound quite unsatisfying compared to the Taigen V3. You can order the Taigen directly from Imex/Taigen in Florida: https://www.taigentanks.com/. And while you are checking it out, order a few more. @)
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

Welcome,
Don't buy one, it is addictive :crazy: (so dont tell later we didnt warn you :D)

I agree Jimster, buy a after market board (or build one) and buy 1 radio to control them all.

Jimster wrote:“If I had known then what I know now”.
I would buy a nice aftermarket board capable of custom sounds (Elmod Fusion Pro) and a good hobby grade radio (Radiomaster TX16S) and build a tank around it.
I went about things backwards and spent a fortune for upgrades. Hindsight is 20/20.
However, many folks are happy with toylike tanks just to run about the house a bit. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. It’s a hobby for anyone’s taste.
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Hello Phaserburn,

Greetings from just West of the "Big Muddy" and just South of the "Mighty Mo". Both Sir Jarndice and Jimster are correct. I have a Taigen, all metal, mid version that is nearly stock outside. The innards are where the changes have come. Elmod Fusion Pro, Baroness 2 smoke unit, and Visaton FRS7 speaker. Huge improvements over the stock items; however, the stock tank with V3 board was quite acceptable. I was quite satisfied with all of it, until I met these guys here!!! :crazy: :clap: :thumbup: :wave:

And like Jimster, it's the only tank I have! :/ :{

Have a look around and you'll get an idea of what's out there and what can be done to all of these different offerings! Mainly though, just enjoy yourself!

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”