Grumpy old Dutchman signing in...

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Rob1970
Corporal

Grumpy old Dutchman signing in...

Post by Rob1970 »

Hi folks,

I'm new! And old at the same time. Kinda... vintage? Rob, from the Netherlands. Long time static modeller (mostly aircraft), recently switched to the Dark Side (armour) and got my first RC tank a few weeks back. And my second one is on the way. Oh, no. I mean my third. Anybody ever tell you those things are addictive?

TTFN,
Rob
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
Under construction; Sherman Firefly IC - M3 Grant - Sherman BARV
... No, I do not have a problem....
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Grumpy old Dutchman signing in...

Post by BarryC »

Rob1970 wrote:Hi folks,

And my second one is on the way. Oh, no. I mean my third. Anybody ever tell you those things are addictive?

TTFN,
Rob
HA! :haha: Just about the first thing you learn!!
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi Rob, Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
I hope you are not affected by the floods,
My favourite Dutch city Roermond is under water which is a heartbreaker for I made many friends there while in the service,
I am still trying to find out what has happened along the whole of the German Dutch Belgium border area,
Lots of places such as Maarstrict and Liege and Eindhoven have left me with many happy memories.. Enjoy the Forum and please take care
AUB :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Tucker427
Private

Post by Tucker427 »

I'm also new to RC tanks - currently at 3 tanks and already modifying the hell out of them :D
My custom King Tiger build: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=31936
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

jarndice wrote:Hi Rob, Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
I hope you are not affected by the floods,
My favourite Dutch city Roermond is under water which is a heartbreaker for I made many friends there while in the service,
I am still trying to find out what has happened along the whole of the German Dutch Belgium border area,
Lots of places such as Maarstrict and Liege and Eindhoven have left me with many happy memories.. Enjoy the Forum and please take care
AUB :thumbup:
Well, still safe and dry here, even with a river about... 150 meters away? But there's a pretty good dyke between us and that... so fingers crossed.

Three tanks here (almost). First one I bought was a Heng Long Sherman M4A3 105mm. Got it with the whole steel gearbox and metal running gear upgrade, so there's that. Already working on that one to spruce it up a bit, with metal hatches on the engine deck for starters. There's metal front and rear lights on the way, and a new MG for the hull. Also working on a second Sherman hull top and turret combo, turning it onto a Sherman IC Firefly. Got stuff coming in for that. The plan is to make those tops quickly swappable so I can run a Sherman 105 or a Firefly.

With that stuff for the Firefly there's also a Heng Long Panzer IV Type F on the way. Slow boat from China, so it's gonna take a bit...

Today tank #3 arrived. A nice Russian KV-1 I got for peanuts from a local sales site. Plastic tracks and running wheels, and a zinc gearbox. It was really cheap, with an early 2.4Ghz set already in it. V5.xx I guess? But I ordered a 6.0S transmitter and upgrade set for that one. Spent today fixing the two front idlers, as they were totally sheared off because the postman handle the box a bit rough (altho I suspect there was already some damage by the previous owner...).

But it has been fixed and has done a victory lap around the garden already. I ended up here on this forum when someone pointed out Jnewboy's KV-1 thread on another forum. Inspirational stuff.

I will post my build thread from the other forum here, as soon as I've figured out how to post pictures on this forum.

TTFN,
Rob
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Good news about your safety :thumbup: ,
The PZ4 is it an Auf F or Auf F2 ?
Worlds of difference that caused so much confusion in the logistics chain that the German Army had difficulty sorting out which is why after about 150 Auf F2 had been built they redesignated it to Auf G. :lolno:
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Hello and welcome to the forum Rob :wave: there are a couple of different ways to upload photos here, I'm not sure if you are familiar with the app tapatalk but if you are that is one of the simplest ways you can do it :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

jarndice wrote:Good news about your safety :thumbup: ,
Worlds of difference that caused so much confusion in the logistics chain that the German Army had difficulty sorting out which is why after about 150 Auf F2 had been built they redesignated it to Auf G. :lolno:
Uhm... F2? this one? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002 ... 4c4dQfLI5s

Also eying a Panzer III on the same sales site I got the KV-1. That one has an old crystal radio set-up... Yeah...
I have a problem... Someone suggested we start a Tankaholics Anonymous chapter... I think he was on to something.
Oh, and this the the KV-1 I got. Picture by the seller... what I got was in a bit worse shape...

And this is the pile of Sherman stuff...
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Welcome. Converted my crystal based KV-1 into an SU-152...

Derek
Too many project builds to list...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Rob1970 wrote:
jarndice wrote:Good news about your safety :thumbup: ,
Uhm... F2? this one? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002 ... 4c4dQfLI5s

Also eying a Panzer III on the same sales site I got the KV-1. That one has an old crystal radio set-up... Yeah...
I have a problem... Someone suggested we start a Tankaholics Anonymous chapter... I think he was on to something.
Oh, and this the the KV-1 I got. Picture by the seller... what I got was in a bit worse shape...
Yes that's the Aus F2/G and it has the latest Heng Long Control Board which is the one to have BUT the Turret is grossly inaccurate and will take a lot of work to fix OR you could go to www.rctank.de/ for an updated Taigen PZ4 turret which in my humble opinion is the best available,
it should be a very simple job to swap the new turret for the old.(Heng Long and Taigen were for many years the same company :haha: :haha: )
It is available in i/r or bb versions both are about £75 plus post and Dom @ rctank.de is an extraordinarily helpful and trustworthy fellow

And this is the pile of Sherman stuff...

Return to “Introduce Yourself”