Tamiya M3 Lee 1/35 RC conversion

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
philbibbey
Recruit

Tamiya M3 Lee 1/35 RC conversion

Post by philbibbey »

Hello all! So I wanted to add some life to my static scale tanks by converting to RC. I have been building models on and off for the last 20 years but I am fairly new to the RC world. My first in box RC tank (10 years ago) was the Tamiya Sherman in 1/35 and loved having a scale model that moved. I’m attempting to convert the M3 Lee to RC after watching every YouTube video I can get relating to this.

I plan on tackling this project piece by piece in effort not to get overwhelmed and lost in the weeds. First off is the motor gearbox. I am going to test the tamiya mini motor gear box and a N20 motor at 27rpm. I’m thinking the N20 is going to be the best bet for size and torque. I plan on doing an out of the tank test first with the dual motors, receiver, and power source to make sure everything works and then instal in the tank. As always comments and solid advice is always welcome! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Tamiya M3 Lee 1/35 RC conversion

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

And a hearty welcome to you, sir! :wave: Thank you for providing such an informative introduction. I think you will soon get some knowledgeable responses; the best I can offer is cheers and encouragement. :thumbup:

Although I have made a modeling transition to 1/16 scale, I do have some electronics and motors intended for 1/35 or 1/48 that I hope to install in a light 1/16 tank. (If that proves to be "no go," I have one or two 1/48 tank kits that are possibilies.) I got all the goodies from one of the vendors right here on RCTW.
philbibbey
Recruit

Post by philbibbey »

Hello Dr. Professor! Perhaps you can help me out with something. I’m currently trying to select a good motor and have a question relating to voltage and power sources. For a 1/35 scale tank model would x2 3v motors suffice or should I look into say a x2 6v motors? I’m trying to consider the battery pack size necessary to power the tank without burning up my motors lol. Thanks for the response.

lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

These are cheap and really fun projects to experiment with. You just need to set realistic expectations. Whatever the result, it was fun and something was learned. With 27rpm at 12v, it will be a very slow tank, specially with a 3 to 7.4 volt small battery that you be able to fit inside a 1/35 model. Suggest you look at replacing the size 130 motors with 180 size if you plan on using metal tracks, like R-model.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Philbibbey, glad to have you with us. Sorry for the late welcome, I was away doing "chores" for my elderly Parent's and eating way too much home cooking. I have a sneaking suspicion that you'll fit right in here! Have at it! :wave:

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
philbibbey
Recruit

Post by philbibbey »

This project got shelved because it was aggravating the hell out of me lol. Not abandoning her but needed a break from the track slipping issues.

I have since shifted gears to a PZ. III that I managed to get working.

Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I agree about the 180 motors. I have a set of electronics and motors from Make It Move. These are intended for 1/35, and at most I could use them in a light Japanese tank in 1/16.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”