Greetings from Suffolk

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Greetings from Suffolk

Post by MikeHamilton »

Hi, I’m Mike and I retired 3 years ago after spending nearly 40 years doing computer support and I live in sleepy Suffolk.
For the past couple of years I’ve been building a 9’ x 2’ N Gauge model railway, which is very nearly completed and I fancy a supplemental and not too dissimilar hobby along side model railways.
I’ve not done any RC stuff whatsoever, so am a complete newbie.
I’ve had for many years a hankering in getting an RC tank, so I apologise for any daft questions I might post in advance.
I hope to pick up as much info as I can from this forum before taking the plunge.
‘Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes’ - Oscar Wilde
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Greetings from Suffolk

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Welcome, Mike!
I think many would agree that Suffolk is a choice destination for retirement, or escaping the World in general.
There are many railway fans here, and I'm sure pics of your progress would be very welcome. Tank tracks, and railway tracks...all lead in this direction. :thumbup: :wave:
Ask away!.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi Mike,Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
The only daft question is the one you do not ask.So ask away and please join in any thread that catches your eye,
Lots of Model Railway enthusiasts here in different gauges.
I parked my "N" Gauge up some years ago but everything is still available just waiting for me to take it up again. :haha:
What Tank you buy is not as important as WHO you buy it from.
My suggestion is Dave @
www.forgebeartanks.com
He will carry you through the process and provide a brilliant service ever afterwards,
He sells and is an approved Taigen Tank dealer,
Dave is also a member of this Forum,
I would avoid with all my might "Nitrotek" who bears the distinction of being just about the worst dealer anywhere :thumbdown:
Some people support "Tankzone" but after time they come to the conclusion he is worth avoiding, That would include me.
These are all UK based dealers there are plenty of good overseas based dealers who I will happily list if you want. :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Welcome from across the vasty ocean, Mike. I second all of 43recce's and jarndice's advice. Here in the US, I started over a decade ago with a Taigen tank and never looked back. I started with O-gauge (1/48) railroading over two decades ago, and have been on the rails ever since. And I started modeling 55 years ago, but suffered a long pause for a fine career. Yet many of my questions here are rock-bottom basic, so you have no reason for any embarrassment.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Welcome aboard from Illinois! Trains and tanks are definitely hobby cousins!
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

Thanks for the great welcome folks.
I’ve already amassed quite a few questions, so shall post them in the relevant sections.
‘Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes’ - Oscar Wilde
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hello and welcome to the forum Mike :wave:

It would appear that you have done the right thing in joining the forum to ask questions before making a purchase. All too often we have new members with tales of woe about their new tank not working and/or the vendor that sold it won't put things right. Or the other bad thing is purchasing old stock eBay sellers are trying to offload and not being totally truthful.
Sometimes bargains are too good to be true, I saw some last night where it wasn't clearly stated what operating system the tank had, turns out it was the old 27mhz crystal version.

When you decide what type of tank takes your fancy, feel free to ask advice on what make and where to get it from :thumbup:

Enjoy the forum.
Mick.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Hi Mike and welcome to RC Tanks.

Your railway modelling skills will be transferable so you should feel at home quickly. Did you use digital control? Again, if so you'll know that almost anything is possible these days in terms of customising your models.

Living in sleepy Suffolk, you are just north of me and within easy reach of one of the best UK suppliers so look forward to a great new hobby!

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Hello Mike,

Glad to have you aboard! You will do fine here, all you model RR buffs make excellent tankers! :D The guy's here really know their stuff and you've found the best forum around! Enjoy and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”