Hello Forum From Indiana!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Barmonkey
Recruit

Hello Forum From Indiana!

Post by Barmonkey »

Hello All, Recently joined the forum and wanted to add a brief introduction...

I have enjoyed many aspects of the RC world for a few decades now. My primary interest for the longest time was RC airplanes. I enjoyed building and crashing sport planes, WWII and WWI warbirds, and had a brief stint with helicopters.

For about ten years, I was deeply involved in RC boat racing with the IMPBA. I think that at some point or another I have built/rebuilt and raced just about every class offered. I started with Nitro powered and dabbled with electrics and then moved to gas powered boats. I really enjoyed the 1/8 scale hydroplane scales class and then moved to 1/6 scale gas hydroplanes. This became much more like work than a hobby so I have taken a break.

My interest in RC Tanks began when I was cleaning out my fathers attic. I found my brother's old 1/35 motorized Tamiya Tiger I that he built back in the 70's. My nephews must have gotten hold of it and I found the poor Tiger in pieces. I wanted to restore it and gift it to my brother...then I thought...Hey! I can convert this thing to RC! After doing some research, I decided to abandon that idea and purchase a 1/16 scale tank. I will most likely continue with the restoration project of the Tiger sans RC.

I now have four 1/16 Tanks:
1) Heng Long Panzer III H ...This was my first and is the basic all plastic airsoft version with 6.0S electronics. It will remain mostly stock and only plan to upgrade the drive and idler wheels to metal. I will do a repaint after some scale improvements are made.

2) Taigen/Torro Tiger I ... This is the plastic airsoft V3 version but it does have the torsion bar undercarraige. I would like to upgrade the drive and idler wheels to metal and add some scale bits. I really want to have IR and barrel recoil in the future.

3) Taigen/Torro Panzer III L ... I bought this without a transmitter or battery. I believe it has the V1 electronics. It does work with the Tiger I's controller. The build quality of this one is horrible. I will likely do some major work to this one.

4) Heng Long Panther G ... I recently purchased this from Toucan as a "static" only tank. It is a basic unit with an old 27MHz board. I have ordered a HL 6.0S board for it just to get it running. I plan many upgrades over time to this one! I would like to convert it to IR with barrel recoil and metal running gear. Of course I will add scale details as well.

Anyway, Thanks to all that have shared their wealth of knowledge on this forum...

Cheers
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Hello Forum From Indiana!

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hello and welcome to the forum Barmonkey :wave:

That's what we like, a nice brief introduction ;)

Glad to have you aboard. Looks like you've well and truly got the RC bug, at least tanks are at a more gentle pace :thumbup:

Enjoy being a part of the forum.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
It is always useful to have a few projects on the boil indeed it does sometimes seem to take over the workshop so the Tiger and the brace of PZ111s will for as long as you know where they are tug at your concience as to r/c aircraft I have oftimes wondered why Science has not researched the magnetic properties of trees :lolno:
Ask questions and reply to threads that interest you please.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Welcome Sir!

I believe you'll enjoy your stay here. :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Welcome, BM! :wave:
It looks like you have a pretty good roadmap worked out for yourself. Just bear in mind that when you upgrade the HL Panther G, you'll need to update the wiring as well. V6.0s and later units dispense with the ribbon cable, 8-pin connector block, and more. But, having lately mounted the HL upper on the Taigen metal/ABS lower hull, my V6.0 Panther G is now a sweet mover. :thumbup: The lower hull is a good investment, and includes a possible quick-release mechanism.
Cheers!
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Welcome aboard! My daughter lives in Florence, IN. Way down south along the Ohio River.
Barmonkey
Recruit

Post by Barmonkey »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Hello and welcome to the forum Barmonkey :wave:

That's what we like, a nice brief introduction ;)

Glad to have you aboard. Looks like you've well and truly got the RC bug, at least tanks are at a more gentle pace :thumbup:

Enjoy being a part of the forum.
Certainly more gentle that racing a 52" long. 25 pound boat at 60-70 Mph around a 1/6 mile oval with five other boats!
Barmonkey
Recruit

Post by Barmonkey »

jarndice wrote:Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
It is always useful to have a few projects on the boil indeed it does sometimes seem to take over the workshop so the Tiger and the brace of PZ111s will for as long as you know where they are tug at your concience as to r/c aircraft I have oftimes wondered why Science has not researched the magnetic properties of trees :lolno:
Ask questions and reply to threads that interest you please.
Trees do not have magnetic properties...Some of them are just mean-spirited pranksters that reach out and grab RC planes! :haha:
Barmonkey
Recruit

Post by Barmonkey »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Welcome, BM! :wave:
It looks like you have a pretty good roadmap worked out for yourself. Just bear in mind that when you upgrade the HL Panther G, you'll need to update the wiring as well. V6.0s and later units dispense with the ribbon cable, 8-pin connector block, and more. But, having lately mounted the HL upper on the Taigen metal/ABS lower hull, my V6.0 Panther G is now a sweet mover. :thumbup: The lower hull is a good investment, and includes a possible quick-release mechanism.
Cheers!
Sounds like you are my Huckleberry with the Panther. I actually just received the 6.0S and a basic wiring kit in the mail today. I have no speaker, IR or smoke unit yet. The toughest part will be finding the soldering iron so I can attach the motor connectors.

I do have a question since you mentioned it. Is the connector for the turret rotation unit plug and play with the 6.0S, or does it need to be rewired? (Same for the airsoft unit?)
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Hello BM from Indiana! I am in far southern Wisconsin. What an excellent introduction and a wealth of experience. Bravo! You will be one of the electronics wizards here and we can learn from you.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”