Hello Forum From Indiana!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Barmonkey
Recruit

Re: Hello Forum From Indiana!

Post by Barmonkey »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Hello BM from Indiana! I am in far southern Wisconsin. What an excellent introduction and a wealth of experience. Bravo! You will be one of the electronics wizards here and we can learn from you.
Electronics Wizard? Me? I am far from that :haha: :haha:

Hopefully I can help someone along the way...But for now I will need to rely upon the experienced tankers here.

I did forget to mention that I have a few sailboats and attempted racing 1/10 scale trucks as well. The sailboats were a nice change of pace from racing the powered boats. I didn't really care for the truck racing for a few different reasons. But that got me thinking...There is no RC tank warfare locally that I am aware of. The local indoor track would be an interesting place to have RC battles!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Barmonkey wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:Welcome, BM! :wave:
It looks like you have a pretty good roadmap worked out for yourself. Just bear in mind that when you upgrade the HL Panther G, you'll need to update the wiring as well. V6.0s and later units dispense with the ribbon cable, 8-pin connector block, and more. But, having lately mounted the HL upper on the Taigen metal/ABS lower hull, my V6.0 Panther G is now a sweet mover. :thumbup: The lower hull is a good investment, and includes a possible quick-release mechanism.
Cheers!
Sounds like you are my Huckleberry with the Panther. I actually just received the 6.0S and a basic wiring kit in the mail today. I have no speaker, IR or smoke unit yet. The toughest part will be finding the soldering iron so I can attach the motor connectors.

I do have a question since you mentioned it. Is the connector for the turret rotation unit plug and play with the 6.0S, or does it need to be rewired? (Same for the airsoft unit?)
Huckleberry? :D Well, I do have a dog called Finn- and a fondness for some of Twain's smarter sayings. Without looking at any of my tanks with earlier electronics, I know that some components, the front lights for example, are soldered to the 8-pin connector block. A ribbon cable then connected them, in turn, to the old-style MFUs.
Put simply, ALL components- from the drive motors to the lights, and smoker, now have to be connected directly to the MFU. This will be by white JST's, or the flat two-pin male JST type (for LED connections). For the 6.0s, the gearbox motors will need bullet connectors fitted, as the old-style JST push-in types can't be connected.
If you were interested in airsoft (but I don't think that's part of your plan), an uprated gun that's compatible with V6.0 + systems is needed. An uprated (V6 )smoker should also be on your shopping list (which will get ever longer, the more this hobby gets a hold ;) :D ).
If your turn motor has a two-pin JST, that's fine. If it's soldered to the 8-pin, it will need its own JST connector- and so will the front lights (rear lights too- if fitted).
You can have a look at the Panther G I worked on. It had the advantage of later wiring already, but there are other details that might give you some ideas. :thumbup:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30057&hilit=Panther ... tal+wheels. Hope this helps.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Barmonkey
Recruit

Post by Barmonkey »

Thanks for the reply. I quickly browsed through your thread and there will certainly be some helpful things in it.

The board in the Panther G is a HENLO-TK01so everything is soldered to the board except for the 8-pin connector pig tail (ribbon).

I did solder the correct leads to the headlight and motors. Luckily, one of the headlight wires was pre-disconnected saving me the step of desoldering it :haha: I replaced the motor wires with the correct bullet connectors taking care to replace the red wires with red and black to black...of course the original wires were backwards so I had to put black to red and red to black...and then I had the motors reversed. I briefly thought about wiring the motor leads opposite of the originals...sometimes I need to stick with my intuition.

The turret rotation gearbox already had the proper white JST connector and a long lead. I simply needed to unplug it from the daughter board and pop the three hot glue spots loose. My first attempt at using the barrel rotation gearbox did not work. I heard the faint sound of the motor attempting to move and then nothing. I tried jiggling things around and reseating the connector...nothing. I removed the gearbox from the upper hull and it works. It must have been in a bind.

Now I need to figure the turret wiring out. This unit apparently was airsoft and barrel elevation only. There are only three wires (white,black,red) from the turret that connect to the daughter board via a three pin JST connector. So the airsoft/warning light and barrel elevation must share a common ground. It should be a simple task to isolate the barrel elevation and then trough trial and error figure out which two of the three wires control the airsoft unit.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"no RC tank warfare locally that I am aware of." This doesn't quality as "local," although a perhaps bit more so for you than for me. I would like to see the museum someday. https://www.aaftankmuseum.com/.
It looks as if the battles there have resumed Post-Covid: https://www.aaftankmuseum.com/event/202 ... tank-battl.
And their "PX" suggests somebody there is interested in 1/16 RC: http://shop.aaftankmuseum.com/SearchRes ... p?Cat=1843
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Welcome along Mr 'Monkey!
Indiana sure would be a great place to be right now with action at the Brickyard ;)
I'm hoping Scott McLaughlin can pull out a rookie win, but somehow its wishful thinking :(
I dont know much about Rc boats, but I do know that RC tanks cant sink if you get it wrong :eh:

have fun along the way mate :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Jimster wrote:Welcome aboard! My daughter lives in Florence, IN. Way down south along the Ohio River.
"Way down South upon the Swanee River"....sorry that triggered this old song stuck in the cobwebs of my mind! :/

I digress...again! :lolno:

Welcome Bar Monkey,
Never mind me, I tend to stray from the herd! That is a wealth of RC experience of almost all sorts...no drones? I understand about RC planes, about 20 years ago I flew (crashed) them. I've flown them into trees, goalposts, my truck, myself, and once did a perfect 3 point landing on the school roof. I then had to drive home and return with the extension ladder, all the time being watched by the school's security cameras! :{ I crashed better than anyone I knew!

Anyhow, good to have a "close" neighbor in the hobby. Great place here, with amazing member's whose talents are unbelievable! Enjoy!

Regards,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”