New to RC tanks just bought walker and challenger for my son

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Bigbear80
Recruit

New to RC tanks just bought walker and challenger for my son

Post by Bigbear80 »

Hi all, I am from UK and new to all this and just joined. I had an RC tank around 15 years ago, just bought two
Heng long tanks for my son and the new features of the tank I am unfamiliar with as regards the smoke effect. My concern is what is the ingredients in the oil and is the smoke emitted toxic? I'm just a concerned parent, any useful information on ingredients used in the production of the oil and or maybe What's in the vapour emitted from the tank would be greatly appreciated. I also wondered if there is any natural organic plant based ingredients that could be used to make smoke oil if the original product provided is found to contain toxins. Like I said just a concerned parent here and wanting to get the most information on the subject to get the most pleasure out of the tank for my son. Thanks in advance. :thumbup: :wave:
jarndice
Colonel

Re: New to RC tanks just bought walker and challenger for my

Post by jarndice »

Hi, Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
The first thing to know about Heng Longs Smoke oil is that Heng Long is probably the biggest Toymaker in the Peoples Republic of China and they export all over the world so putting noxious chemicals in a product designed for children which Heng Longs Tanks are would have put them out of business years ago.
I do not think I have ever seen the recipe for Heng Longs smoke oil but my understanding is that it is a Glycerin based product so if a child does decide to drink the stuff a rapid visit to the lavatory would be the worst you might expect :shifty:
Many of the people on the Forum use either homemade concoctions or an American made product called "Mega-Steam" which comes in many aromas but is a Petroleum based product so not to be drunk by children or adults :thumbdown:
If you are searching for realism then you might like to consider NOT using a smoker in your Tanks because a properly serviced engine should not be putting out smoke :lolno: except on start up or when it is tactically required.
I hope you enjoy the Forum,
Many of us were first introduced to the hobby by the non stop cajoling of our children :haha: :haha: If only they were the ones paying for these "Fun" toys :lolno:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Welcome, BigBear! Thanks for your helpful introduction here.

Like Jarndice, I too, understand the smoke fluid to be glycerine based. I was not aware that JT's Mega Steam is oil based, not having used any. (Thanks for the info., jarndice; I will likely avoid the stuff for my few steam engines.) I do, however, recommend JT's Mega Steam b-gone cleaner for droplets and sloplets on toy trains and RC tanks. I have used it on both without any harm to painted plastic. Toy trains have used "smoke" for a very long time, and I have not hear of any Lionel fatalities here in the US. And, yes, smoke from the exhaust of a modern tank would be a sign of injector problems. Now I am not a smoker, but an occasional puff could be a bit of silly fun for some of us old guys.

Does the "80" mean that you are only 41 years old? If so, you are ruining the average age of this forum's members. :haha:
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Welcome BB80,

Good to have you and your Son on board. As you have already seen, asking a question here will surely get you an answer! So much talent and knowledge here to soak up! :thumbup: Enjoy!

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”