Hello from New York

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Fairchild972
Recruit

Hello from New York

Post by Fairchild972 »

I'm new to this forum but have been into tanks for as long as I can remember.

I've always wanted a RC tank to drive around ever since I was little and after looking into options I ended buying a Heng Long Jagdpanther a couple of months back.

It was great fun to drive around inside the house and when it snowed i took it outside for the first time and was kinda dissolved with how the plastic parts handled it. i.e. idlers kept coming off and de-tracking the thing but it's still a blast and a great display piece.
20201217_122939.jpg
Just a few weeks ago I bought a Heng Long Leopard 2A6 with upgraded Metal tracks, gearbox and drive wheels. It was the one I'd orginally been eyeing but decided I'd have trouble finding a place to store 2ft worth of tank in the house but my experience with my Jagdpanther left me wanting so I pulled the trigger after browsing Ebay at work.

I just bought a 360° turret upgrade for the 2A6 and it should be coming in the mail soon so any tips on installing that would be greatly appreciated.

I did just recently discover a problem with my 2A6 in that the neutral steering is a bit janky now. What I mean by that is when I try to go to neutral steering from any other input the motor cuts out but the engine noise still goes.
And it only neutral steers successfully from a neutral state i.e. no Foward or backward inputs.

The tank still drives fine other than that but it's just not as smooth as it used to be anymore when performing tight maneuvers as I have to stop completely for a split second to get the neutral steering to work.

I was planning on buying some metal road wheels as an upgrade but the neutral steering issue kinda put a damper on my want to upgrade it further
IMG_20210404_062423189_1.jpg
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Hello from New York

Post by jarndice »

Hi, Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
Heng Long is one of the biggest Toy makers in the World and when you buy a Heng Long Tank you are buying a 10 year olds plaything with all that that implies,
It is built to give pleasure over a very limited period,
If you intend making your Tank/s a practical r/c project then you will discover as we have that you are entering a bottomless money pit.
Read your way through the contents of this place and the chance's of improving the longevity of your armour will be much improved,
The alternative to owning a relatively cheap and unreliable Tank is to upgrade it/them using the many quality dealers that we will gladly introduce you to or buy the exorbitantly overpriced extremely accurate Tamiya Kits which will once assembled last a long time and bore the bejeezus out of you :haha:
You see most of us here like tinkering and just because Heng Long/Taigen/Torro Tanks are mainly RTR (Ready to Run) they all need work to be properly usable,
Once you get into this you will begin researching Armour in general and particular Tanks in detail and with that comes modifications in paint /markings / and peculiarities specific to a particular vehicle and yet more expense :lolno:
Do ask lots of Questions and we will come over the hill with Guidions fluttering and bugles calling :crazy:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Welcome Fairchild972,

I like the paint jobs on both your tanks! :thumbup: Yes, there is a lot of tinkering and upgrading to do generally speaking! At least you've found the best site for ideas, help, inspiration, and camaraderie! Have a look around and enjoy!

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
leopardgreece
Corporal

Post by leopardgreece »

Very nice tanks and color ImageImageImageImageImage

???????? ??? ?? SM-N950F ??? ??????????????? Tapatalk
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Welcome!. Yes, well there are ways of overcoming the shortcomings of RTR (Ready To Roll) models. Some require ingenuity, but most will require extra expenditure, research, and patience. In the end, though, you should end up with a model that does exactly what you want it to, and a lot of acquired knowledge. You'll also have some extra friends, as well. :wave:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

WELCOME! Thanks for posting the pictures. Here are three reasons just to give in to those urges:

1) Whitewash and winter white camouflage (Could this have something to do with chances of snow October 15 through April 15?)
2) There's always room for one more tank (train, tractor, truck...)
3) It's only money.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”