New guy from Alberta,Canada

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.

Postby HERMAN BIX » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:59 am

Welcome along Mr Tanker, you’ve come to the right place for all things RC tank :thumbup:
I’ve been on a fleeting visit to Canada, flew into Calgary then drove a hundred or so miles to Red Dear.
Stayed there for 3 days.
Went out from RD to a yard another 100 kms further out where I froze my ass off on a drilling rig for a while !!
Discovered that RD is a coco-cola free zone !! Pepsi only no matter where I went.
Oh well, the girls at Twin Peaks looked after me good & proper. :{ :{ to make up for the lack of coke !

Good times , lovely place and Tim Hortens has the best hot chocolate!
HERMAN BIX
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Tanker1 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:42 am

Hi Herman,

I know Red Deer well.
Live and hours drive north.
Could image the shock coming from Australia and working in Alberta during the cold weather months.

Tim Hortons has the best coffee great donuts too.

No comment on the girls LOL.
Tanker1
Recruit

Postby Rattlesnake road » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:51 pm

Alberta is nice in the Summer but too cold in the Winter. My brother in law has moved back to BC.

Rattlesnake road
Private

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:55 pm

Welcome from the Highlands of Scotland, T1 :wave: A lot of us settled (as the name suggests) in Nova Scotia; but I imagine the warmer winds on the West Coast might be more conducive to kilt-wearing.
How's the whisky there? :) Hope it's made from malted barley, as it should be... :D
43rdRecceReg
Major

Postby Tanker1 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:18 am

43rdRecceReg wrote:Welcome from the Highlands of Scotland, T1 :wave: A lot of us settled (as the name suggests) in Nova Scotia; but I imagine the warmer winds on the West Coast might be more conducive to kilt-wearing.
How's the whisky there? :) Hope it's made from malted barley, as it should be... :D

Yup the West coast is definitely warmer for kilt wearing. :D
To be honest I don't like Canadian whiskey my favorite drink is Glenlivet 15 year old single malt scotch.
Must be the Stewart in me. :thumbup:
Tanker1
Recruit

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:14 pm

Tanker1 wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:Welcome from the Highlands of Scotland, T1 :wave: A lot of us settled (as the name suggests) in Nova Scotia; but I imagine the warmer winds on the West Coast might be more conducive to kilt-wearing.

To be honest I don't like Canadian whiskey my favorite drink is Glenlivet 15 year old single malt scotch.

:thumbup: :D Jimster's a recent convert to that very slurp!
Yes, most of the Strathspey whiskies have are light and aromatic, and perfect for admiring a hard day's effort on the latest model :thumbup: The older the better. My faves are Glenmorangie (not strictly Strathspey), and The Macallan- single malts only, of course!
They also work as a suitable balm for those mods that weren't quite so successful, let's say...l ;)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Postby Tanker1 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:03 pm

43rdRecceReg wrote:
Tanker1 wrote:

:thumbup: :D Jimster's a recent convert to that very slurp!
Yes, most of the Strathspey whiskies have are light and aromatic, and perfect for admiring a hard day's effort on the latest model :thumbup: The older the better. My faves are Glenmorangie (not strictly Strathspey), and The Macallan- single malts only, of course!
They also work as a suitable balm for those mods that weren't quite so successful, let's say...l ;)

I'm looking to try other scotches.
I prefer something smooth with less bite going down can you recommend something?
Last edited by Tanker1 on Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tanker1
Recruit

Postby Captain Hilts » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:39 pm

:wave: hello
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Postby Tanker1 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:49 pm

Captain Hilts wrote::wave: hello

Hello :wave:
Tanker1
Recruit

Postby Tanker1 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:51 pm

Still looking for Scotch recommendations guys. :D
Tanker1
Recruit

Postby gavlar0 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:36 pm

Hey Tanker, you mentioned you mind smoother so this is probably not your cup of tea er whiskey but maybe you could explore it and see and if you don't like it then ship it to the UK, I will happily drink it for you.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/c ... ld-whisky/

Not sure what your budget is but this is a well balanced 18 yr old, which although peaty, it's well refined and leaves a lovely smokey sweetness on the palate.

Big shout out to masterofmalt.com they have a wonderful collection of all types.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
gavlar0
Recruit

Postby Tanker1 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:06 am

gavlar0 wrote:Hey Tanker, you mentioned you mind smoother so this is probably not your cup of tea er whiskey but maybe you could explore it and see and if you don't like it then ship it to the UK, I will happily drink it for you.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/c ... ld-whisky/

Not sure what your budget is but this is a well balanced 18 yr old, which although peaty, it's well refined and leaves a lovely smokey sweetness on the palate.

Big shout out to masterofmalt.com they have a wonderful collection of all types.

I'll see if I can find that one locally.
The way shipping is nowadays by the time the bottle gets to you it would be a 20 year old scotch. :haha:
Tanker1
Recruit

Postby gavlar0 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:30 am

yes it's a crazy old world... I forgot to mention it's pronounced "Cull Eela". Just in case you ask in person. I had many a confused store owner wondering what I was on about until I was corrected...

gavlar0
Recruit

Postby Rattlesnake road » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:48 pm

Tanker1 wrote:Still looking for Scotch recommendations guys. :D

You can also get some nice Irish ones....Not that I drink alcohol anymore, those days are gone.

Rattlesnake road
Private

Postby Will01Capri » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:01 am

Hello and welcome to the madness, enjoy
Will01Capri
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself