bonjour à tous

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: bonjour à tous

Post by jarndice »

We were taught it to prevent runaways on a downhill with heavy trucks in the pre air assisted brake and straight cut gear era.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Bonjour Tank Addict. Now you see what happens with this forum: the discussion starts on one topic and quickly goes off to the wrong side of the road. :D I, of course, always stay on topic, which, in this case, was welcoming you, which I do, do, do! Yes, pictures are welcome.

Jarndice: Over the past 50+ years, I have driven manual transmission cars and more old trucks than I can even remember. I have driven a 1939 Farmall F-14 with two handbrakes, a magneto, and an engine that starts (after serious exercise) with a crank. I have driven a 1939 Farmall M, too, which blessedly had independent foot brakes that can be locked together. For 25 years, I have used my Mitsubishi/International Harvester/Case-International/Cub Cadet (and its latest [last] incarnation is as a Mahindra) with over eleven controls to regularly handle and a few more just for fun. I have never, however, ever heard of a "handbrake gear change." Whassat? :S

Hey flatlander :P : what's the big deal with driving down the middle? I even stop opposite another car going the other way for a morning chat. However, I have only done so with a County Sheriff I know, any only when he is in the squad car. :haha:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:
Jarndice: Over the past 50+ years, I have driven manual transmission cars and more old trucks than I can even remember. I have driven a 1939 Farmall F-14 with two handbrakes, a magneto, and an engine that starts (after serious exercise) with a crank. I have driven a 1939 Farmall M, too, which blessedly had independent foot brakes that can be locked together. For 25 years, I have used my Mitsubishi/International Harvester/Case-International/Cub Cadet (and its latest [last] incarnation is as a Mahindra) with over eleven controls to regularly handle and a few more just for fun. I have never, however, ever heard of a "handbrake gear change." Whassat? :S

:
If you were in a loaded heavy truck with straight cut gears (Crash gearbox) and no air assisted brakes if you were descending a steep hill and needed to change down a gear or two you would slow the truck on the foot brake and when you were at the desired speed you would engage the handbrake you would now let off the footbrake and make the downshift before reengaging the footbrake to take the load off the handbrake then release the handbrake,
Get it wrong and the reason for carrying out the exercise in the first place ie preventing a runaway would now take place leaving you if you were lucky unemployed if you were unlucky -------------- :shh:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Ah,
....yes,
........I
.........see
............the
...............challenge.
Tank addict
Recruit

Post by Tank addict »

I feel like I'm going to have fun with you.

To be more specific about my location, I really live a very short 2 minutes walk from Pegasus Bridge, where Major Howard first made his mark with the movie The Longest Day.
At the moment I am printing with my Ender 3 the elements of the Opel Blitz. I am looking for info on the interior of the cabin for and am surprised that for a vehicle so produced that it is difficult to find photos preferably in color.

I hope to make myself understood because although I understand English, I speak and write it as we say in French "like a Spanish cow".
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Oui! Oui! :thumbup: A 3d Printer, you lucky devil! Nice! I, too, am puzzled as to why there would not be more readily available photos of the Opel Blitz. I have always wanted to do one from Asiatam as an ambulance. But I have too many projects already for one reasonably sane human being. :crazy: I will keep looking for books and websites on the Blitz--Opel, that is. ;)
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Welcome along!

I never made Pegasus bridge on my last trip to Normandy, the wife and kids had enough of my WW2 crusade :)

Next year I hope to return.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”