Newbie....

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
shangovi
Recruit

Newbie....

Post by shangovi »

Hi everybody I am new to the forum as well to RC Tanks. I have a HL Tiger I (Converted from plastic to mostly metal), King Tiger, Taigen Panzer III and a Walmart Abrams.
My knowledge of electronics is doggy at best but I tried to convert my HL Tiget I from non-recoil to a recoil main gun and bought the Taigen turret thinking it be a plug and play (I know I did not look it up enough before buying). So now I am faced with seemingly two choices to replace the mother board and controller ( 2.4 GHz) or work out something with the wiring.
Is there any chance I can rewire the turret to work with the HL board? I asked this question on one of the forums and was reminded that I have not properly introduced my self so here I am just retired and getting into a hobby that is a lot of fun as is challenging. I am based it the US.
Cheers.....
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Newbie....

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Ah, retirement--the ultimate promotion available on earth! Retirement is still better than the best job, and I had one. I see that you dove in head--er, wallet--first. That's just the way I did it when I retired over a decade ago :O (see e.g. viewtopic.php?f=33&t=30720). I am having fun, learning slowly, and enjoying it all.

Your question is likely to get more response (as well as who knows what amusing chatter) here in the introduction thread. Does the Tamiya? Taigen? turret physically fit the HengLong? If so, my guess is that you will have to switch electronics to something aftermarket (see viewforum.php?f=77 for some ideas) or all Taigen V3 or all HengLong V6.0. Others will soon correct me on this--and theirs will be just the information you will need.

Welcome!
Last edited by Herr Dr. Professor on Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Welcome Shangovi,

Sorry I can't help with your inquiry, but I'm sure one of our other member's will be able to offer advice and a solution for you. Good to have you onboard!

Regards,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi, Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
You raise a number of questions and I am not sure I know the answers but someone will.
Is the Tiger 1 fitted with an RX18 or a 5.3 or a Version 6.0 control board ?
Is the Taigen Turret new ie post v2/3 ?
Could you describe the layout of the Daughter board in the Tiger 1(If it is a Version 6.0 it won't have a Daughter board) ie how many pins in the socket on the top line ?
How many plugs are coming out of the bottom of the Turret (hopefully 2) and are they a 3 pin and a 2 pin ?
Enjoy the Forum and keep asking the questions.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

:D Hello Sanghovi, welcome to this great forum, :thumbup: where you will find many answers to your questions about our passion
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Welcome sir!

You will find friendly, knowledgeable folks here more than will to share their thoughts and ideas. :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

Hello and welcome
Start a new topic and posts some pics of what main board your tank has and the new turret showing the wires. By saying its not plug and play my guess is you have HL 5.3 or 6.0 both will require the recoil unit to be rewired.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

My two cents of advice. Others will disagree, but nicely, which is what makes RCTW so much fun for me.
If your HengLong Tiger is 6.0 electronics, keep the HengLong Tiger as is (except any cosmetic work, weathering, etc.). Then buy one of the Taigen or Torro (generally the same) Tigers with V3 electronics. Now you have two Tiger tanks, so you are on your way...
My advice may seem facetious, but it isn't. If you are not that familiar with the electronics, you will be able to compare the two and learn from the ground up without risking too much money loss. Even I can switch Taigen electronics, and, as I noted elsewhere, when it comes to electronics I am Herr Dr. "Tell me about the rabbits, George" Professor.
shangovi
Recruit

Post by shangovi »

Love the welcome and all the advice - thanks guys could not have joined a better forum :)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”