New to RC Tanks

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Battle7
Recruit

New to RC Tanks

Post by Battle7 »

Just purchased my first Tank; an M1A2. Should arrive by 6 March. Retired Army from Olympia WA and looking for something to get into. Watched a lot of YouTube about RC Tanks and read tons of forums. Should I upgrade the Heng Long MFU or the motor?

Planning on starting a local Tank club and currently a member of Northwest Division Pacific Armor Corps (NORDPAC). Looking forward to some Tank battles when the COVID fog settles down.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: New to RC Tanks

Post by jarndice »

Hi, Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
The Heng Long Abrams has probably the best In house MFU when compared to the Aged Tamiya or the ok but pretty basic Taigen V3,
I would suggest you get used to your Tank which having a Heng Long Version 6.0 mfu has both I/R and BB abilities unlike Taigen or Tamiya,
Once you know what is available in comparison to what you have then think about a new Control Board, Receiver/Transmitter and replacement motors/Gearboxes,
If you want to do anything I would start by adding fixtures and fittings and sourcing a Paint scheme that most appeals to you,
I would place the supplied Decals in the nearest waste bin as they are inaccurate, too thick and look awful,
http://www.peddinghaus-decals.de/
is a great site for accurate decals and our own Rad Schuhart @
http://www.radindustries.wordpress.com
will make your own unique stencils or supply them off the shelf for pennies,
Enjoy this place and ask lots of questions.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Welcome aboard and you just received some of the best advice.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Yes, I think Jarndice (and Jimster) are right: the advice Jarndice gives in excellent. The first tank I weathered some years ago was a stock HengLong Abrams. I got good weathering results and learned a little in the process. I liked the 1/16 tank a lot, even with its first-generation HengLong electronics, but wanted the camouflage version. So I gave it to a Vietnam veteran friend who on first seeing it, said "If you want to leave that here at my house..."

If you have any experience with a 1:1 Abrams (in it, around it, or walking by thinking "wow!"), given some photos or artwork Rad Schuhart can make stencils for specific markings. (Rad just made me a set of "what if" stencils for a "re-captured" Russian KV-2 at a price I think is nice. Such a re-capture actually happened during WWII.)

First off, have fun with the Abrams when it comes. It seems to me that these folks are happy to take pictures or videos, no matter how "bone stock" ones tank might be. Oh! my rules of engagement: laughs are standard equipment, and the loser has to buy the pizza. :D
Battle7
Recruit

Post by Battle7 »

Thank you gents for the sound advice. Much appreciated!
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Welcome SIr!

You've definitely come to the right place. You will find friendly helpful folks here with tons of knowledge and very willing to share. :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Welcome Battle7,

This is the place to be! Best group of guys, best knowledge, best models, and the best help anywhere. :thumbup: My Wife and I spent 12 years in Seattle and my Father was stationed at Fort Lewis during the Berlin Crisis. Beautiful area! Hope your tank arrives safe and sound. And the good Herr Dr. is right, we love pictures and videos! :clap:

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Battle7
Recruit

Post by Battle7 »

EAO wrote:Welcome Battle7,

This is the place to be! Best group of guys, best knowledge, best models, and the best help anywhere. :thumbup: My Wife and I spent 12 years in Seattle and my Father was stationed at Fort Lewis during the Berlin Crisis. Beautiful area! Hope your tank arrives safe and sound. And the good Herr Dr. is right, we love pictures and videos! :clap:

Cheers,
Eric.

Hello, yes it is nice here in the PNW. Been stationed in Berlin as well from 1991-1993 (6-502 INF).
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Battle7 wrote:
EAO wrote:Welcome Battle7,

Cheers,
Eric.

Hello, yes it is nice here in the PNW. Been stationed in Berlin as well from 1991-1993 (6-502 INF).

Berlin, two detachments in the 60s flying the wall/fence from RAF Gatow in the daytime with British Army Scout helicopters and out of Templehof at night with the US Army in Huey's,
Scared the bejeezus out of the Tower guards when the Huey loomed up out of the dark, :haha: :haha:
Lights coming on all round the border :haha:
We learnt something from that because we had pre-booked all our flights with the Control Commission which was made up of French/Soviet/American and British air force officers,
We had assumed that the Soviets would brief their East German partners who manned the towers that we were coming,
Obviously Not :lolno:
Great city when off duty.
Enjoyed Treptow Park :shh:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Welcome, Battle7, just adding a bit of extra warmth to the already warm welcome :thumbup: :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”