New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Cliffyg
Recruit

Post by Cliffyg »

Hi
I'm new to R/C tanks got the bug after reading the book on the German 507 Panzer battalion !
Have always had an interest in R/C having dabbled in boats and aircraft in the past. My main hobby is N scale model railways but fancied a go at 1/16 tanks.
After a lot of searching the web I decided as a first foray into the hobby a 2.4 Ghz HL Panzer iii would be a basic start.
A few mixed feelings though at the moment, I purchased said Panzer it ran well all functions correct I then charged the battery whilst adding the detail parts, I then refitted the battery pack and now the tank turns on ok but then shuts off as soon as i try to motor the tracks or turret functions.
The HL battery pack and charger are my first suspicions as I checked the charger output last night and it was reading 2v !! this morning I checked it again and it was 15.5v
The battery supplied is 9.6v 1000mAh ( which is pants ) the charger 9.6v @ 250mAh
As soon as the battery is underload connected to the tank the voltage drops to approx 7.5v at best.
I've ordered a better charger but having trouble finding a higher rated battery pack that'll fit the compartment !!.
I shall persist for now
Cheers
Cliff.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Newbie

Post by Jimster »

Welcome aboard! Where are you from? Make sure the batteries in your transmitter are charged and check to see that your sprockets are not binding up somehow. Other help will soon be forthcoming.
Cliffyg
Recruit

Post by Cliffyg »

Jimster wrote:Welcome aboard! Where are you from? MaKe sure the batteries in your transmitter are charged and check to see that your sprockets are not blinding up somehow. Other help will soon be forthcoming.
Hi thanks for the tips !.
The tracks move smoothly by hand no resistance on the sprockets just the slight resistance of turning the geartrain !
I'm on the Isle of Man btw !
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Welcome! I often have just the sort of trouble you describe: tanks starts, but any load and it shuts down immediately. Every time this happens I find that the battery is not sufficiently charged. I simply put the battery back on the charger for as long as it needs. I also have extra batteries so I can switch them around to check such problems.

You made the right choice to get a better charger.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
You have got the right idea about getting a better charger,
The PZ111 is one of the smaller 1/16 r/c Tanks so internal space is very limited,
The first thing I would do is fit a Li-Po battery, of course the battery bay is separate under the floor and to make more space I cut the bay out taking care to maintain the floor access panel,
Clear the floor area but retain the upright supports and level the floor with epoxy resin,
You now have as much space as a 1/16 PZ 111 could ever have,
Line the floor and inside walls with "Velcro" and attach "Velcro" to the battery, smoker, control board and other ancillaries, then locate every internal fitting where it is most suited and job done. :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hello and welcome to the forum Mr Cliffyg :wave:
Cliffyg wrote:The battery supplied is 9.6v 1000mAh ( which is pants ) the charger 9.6v @ 250mAh
That just means it'll take four hours for a complete charge :thumbup:

Although, Heng Long Chinese batteries are total rubbish and only fit for the recycle bin.
Also the copied Tamiya type battery connector in the tank can have their metal pins pushed in giving the appearance of a connection when pushing the connectors together, this can cause similar problems like a dead battery can.
As for using a Li-Po battery, I wouldn't advise that if your tank isn't one of the newer versions that support lithium batteries.

Now I have a question for anyone and everyone, what Heng Long tanks came with 9.6 volt batteries as standard? I have Heng Long tanks from the oldest to dual sound, and they're all 7.2 or 7.4, no 9.6 volt?
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Rattlesnake road
Lance Corporal

Post by Rattlesnake road »

Remember to remove ALL the batteries when it’s not in use. I asked Jonathan, my club boss for a new longer lasting battery and a new battery charger. The charger an NX 84 sprint, has a red led and when the battery is charged it changes to green. The battery is a 7.4 volt x 3000ma as opposed to the one supplied by Heng Long.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Hello Cliffyg,

Sorry to hear about your battery woes! I'm sure between you and someone on here, the issue will be solved. I gave a quick "review" of the 507th book on here last November. I enjoyed it quite a lot. The only good thing about Covid is catching up on my reading :lolno:

The Isle of Man, spectacular countryside! As an ex motorcyclist, the place is legendary (even to us in the States)! Always catch the races on TV whenever possible. Truly "balls out" racing fit only for the crazy, or the crazy brave!

Nice first tank, do show us some pics when possible! :thumbup:

Regards,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Cliffyg
Recruit

Post by Cliffyg »

EAO wrote:Hello Cliffyg,

Sorry to hear about your battery woes! I'm sure between you and someone on here, the issue will be solved. I gave a quick "review" of the 507th book on here last November. I enjoyed it quite a lot. The only good thing about Covid is catching up on my reading :lolno:

The Isle of Man, spectacular countryside! As an ex motorcyclist, the place is legendary (even to us in the States)! Always catch the races on TV whenever possible. Truly "balls out" racing fit only for the crazy, or the crazy brave!

Nice first tank, do show us some pics when possible! :thumbup:

Regards,
Eric.
Cheers Eric
Really missing the TT , ride bikes myself bloody Covid !
Rattlesnake road
Lance Corporal

Post by Rattlesnake road »

My batteries are
Challenger 2 .....NI-MH 2000mAh. P 7.2 volt supplied with the tank from HL
Bought replacement pack Radient Superax NiMH 3000mAh. 7.2 volt
Tiger as supplied. Super Li-ion. 1800mAh 7.4 volt
T72 as supplied. Super Li-ion. 1800mAh. 7.4 volt a small battery pack compared to the Tiger and Challenger.
The one in my 2x2 truck is even smaller.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”