Two tanks and learning.

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Two tanks and learning.

Post by jarndice »

Nevertheless it should never be forgotten why it is banned in Germany and Austria.
Some years back I bought a FW 190 1/8 r/c from a German Dealer and the supplied decals obviously were missing the Tail insignia and it took a bit of searching to find the appropriate size decals to complete the historically correct appearance of the aircraft.
As you say Herman as long as it is in context all should be well but we must never forget that even now there are still raw feelings in society about the symbol and what it stood for.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

You're welcome.
We see it as a historical item.
And like my fellow moderator stated, it's only if or when it's used for making current political statements on this forum that we have no tolerance.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
761st
Private

Post by 761st »

For me it boils down to manners. My neighbor was in a concentration camp. We talked about the war.He thinks the Tiger 1 is a good looking tank. I am very sensitive to his past and do nothing to open a painful memory. He did tell me that for him seeing the swastika reminds him of the day that flag was walked on by American G.L.s.

My DIL is from Japan. I have a print of a Corsair downing a Betty. It's in my room thus not in a public area of the house. Nonetheless, I do tape an "office memo" over the Betty when she is coming to visit.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Hi 761st! I think we all know the difference between having fun with RC tanks (trucks, etc.) and condoning violence. I have been called a pacifist all my adult life (though I repeatedly point out that my pacifism is untested, and thus nothing to brag about). I daily hurt inside as I see killing all over the world, and in my own way, I pray for peace. Yet I long ago came to accept my interest in models of all sorts, and here I am on RCTW. Then, too, one of the cherished times in my life was a chance to listen respectfully to a USMC Vietnam veteran who was denigrated when he returned to the US after his first tour. I will never forget his "thank you for the talk," and you can bet I am so grateful now to have his friendship for years.

Oops, I have run on and on a bit. Oh, well, put it down to my being a retired professor. Have fun here. It's nice to have you along.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

The hammer and sickle should bear the exact same burden. Why the free pass?
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Jimster wrote:The hammer and sickle should bear the exact same burden. Why the free pass?
Excellent question Jim! :think:

My naivety was on full display as I was remiss in thinking about the nut jobs that are out there and love any opening to espouse their twisted views. :{ Since I have a room filled with artifacts bearing the vilified "crooked cross"; I sometimes forget that there are people out there who still subscribe to, and believe in the hate and ideals that that symbol has come to represent. To me it's history that proved itself to be horrible, and should be learned from and never repeated. Of course given human nature...

Thanks to the guys for leaving no doubt about what is "correct" for this Forum. :wave: Although I'm sure 761st wasn't one to stray that way.

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
761st
Private

Post by 761st »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Hi 761st! I think we all know the difference between having fun with RC tanks (trucks, etc.) and condoning violence. I have been called a pacifist all my adult life (though I repeatedly point out that my pacifism is untested, and thus nothing to brag about). I daily hurt inside as I see killing all over the world, and in my own way, I pray for peace. Yet I long ago came to accept my interest in models of all sorts, and here I am on RCTW. Then, too, one of the cherished times in my life was a chance to listen respectfully to a USMC Vietnam veteran who was denigrated when he returned to the US after his first tour. I will never forget his "thank you for the talk," and you can bet I am so grateful now to have his friendship for years.

Oops, I have run on and on a bit. Oh, well, put it down to my being a retired professor. Have fun here. It's nice to have you along.

Thanks for sharing. Thanks for taking the time to talk to a Vietnam Vet. That was and is a big briuse. I was in during the Vietnam conflict. I don't remember now if war was ever declared. I do recall how people hated us. Called, "Baby killer" and being spit on were my experiences. So yes, thanks for talking to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztZI2aLQ9Sw
Last edited by 761st on Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Something the general public never seemed to grasp is that as a professional soldier I did not choose the conflict I was sent to anymore than a lorry driver chooses where he will be driving on any particular day.
I joined for familial and (Forgive the word) patriotic reasons but it was also a job and I would not cuss a shopkeeper or a street sweeper for their employment so why me?
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
761st
Private

Post by 761st »

Well put!
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

This is a very interesting point raised here because for me show season is about to start, which brings up the question given the conflict as to wether I show my Russian tanks or not as they make up a quarter of the display as it stands.

My argument for showing is from a different time, in the day of the tanks on display they would have contributed to the liberation though the later occupation under the Soviet Union during and just after the Second World War, however remembering that one must be sensitive to the views of the viewing public should the be withdrew from the display or sport Ukrainian flags, paired with a disclaimer. I may be able to nock together some Sherman’s to replace them if they have to be withdrawn by public demand but so far the organisers haven’t mentioned anything
It’s your tank it’s what you make it

Return to “Introduce Yourself”