New to tank world

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
badmax
Recruit

New to tank world

Post by badmax »

Hello

Happy new year to everyone, I'm french and living in south of France.

My 14-years old son is passionate about WW1&2 and focus on tank. During Covid crisis I offered him a RC buggy (also to his little sister to not be jealous) to enjoy RC like me when I was a child... Our garden is wide enough to have built a little track for 1/14-1/18 scale buggies.

When he realizes tank were available in RC, he immediately asked one for Christmas, so we go with a Torro KV2 "Pro Edition" because we wanted to run it offroad in the garden (Note: at first, he wanted a KV-1 "Hobby Edition" but it ran out of stock and we found a re-conditioned KV-2 at a special price).

I found this forum because I'm digging for some tips :
- replace BB module to IR unit on the KV-2
- how to paint metal parts ? (thinking about adding two or three things...)
- looking for M4A3 or M10 for myself, with IR, for battle tank in our backyard -> any model/brand advice ? Was looking for a Mato M10 but not sure it fit with a little of mud... I'm a bit disappointed by the KV2 quality (lack of paint on some parts, poor wiring, lot of plastic parts), is a full metal a better option ? Metal gears/tracks is mandatory of course.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: New to tank world

Post by Jimster »

Welcome from the USA and that was a great introduction post! :clap: I also enjoy driving my tank in my yard so it does require some upgrades to make it better adapted to outdoor terrain. I used to drive my tank pretty hard but since I’ve spent more time and effort into upgrading it I strive for slower, more realistic driving. As you can already tell it’s a learning experience and making your tank perform the way you want it to can be a lot of the fun.
Anyhoos! Others will soon follow with great advice. Great to have you here.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Welcome, Max!

The paths that lead folk to the RC tank world, seem to be many and varied; but often they are connected with our children- and our personal repatriation to the world of childhood- but with more money to indulge the interests that lie dormant there :D :shh:

That's an excellent choice of introductory tank. You'll find lots of information here in the archives of the Forum, by posing questions, and searching the archived threads.

Your English is certainly up to the task! :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Welcome Max,

Quite a proper introduction (we like those)! :thumbup: Glad to hear that the whole family is having fun with RC.:clap: I only have one tank (that's all I'm allowed at the moment due to shortness of funds courtesy of Covid). :/ It is however, an all metal Taigen Tiger 1. I've put it through a lot of rock bashing and it has held up very well. I did however break off the rear mud flap a few times (easy fix). I've also had a chance to run it in some snow as of late. At nearly 15 pounds I found it did pretty well by sinking down and getting a good bite for traction.

That being said, I do agree with Jimster. I now too prefer to crawl around as realistically as possible. My "battlefield" however, is still very, very, rocky!

Glad to have you onboard!
Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”