Hello

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Topper
Corporal

Re: Hello

Post by Topper »

Hi Wayne
Thats it for me.I have had all the 6 day weeks and night shifts for my lifetime.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Hello Frank,

"Up the Irons", I'm an old metal head musically speaking and a huge fan of Iron Maiden (along with all the other hard rock bands that came over during the "English Invasion of Metal" in the 80's).

Nope, never served in the military. Closest I got was the Police Academy in 1996. Both my Wife and I come from old German lineage, proudly carried on over the years. Our family members came over here from the 1880's up through the late 1930's. Our surnames are Oppermann (second n dropped when assimilating to the States), and Meisenburg respectively. We both have relatives in Germany yet, although contact with them is sporadic at best.

I've always been into militaria; as I have 2 Uncles who were in WW2, and 2 Great Uncles who were in WW1. Interestingly we have family members on both sides of the conflicts too. I have a distant relative who actually won the Knight's Cross fighting for the Fatherland. I was handed down the "trophies" that my Uncle's brought back from these cataclysmic events. I've been a hardcore collector for nearly 25 years now. Mostly Third Reich and Imperial German, but also Japanese, U.S. of course, and even some American Civil War and Native American pieces. As "old" collector's like to say: "The Germans fought for the Fatherland, the Russians fought for the Motherland, the British fought to "Save the Queen", and the Americans fought for souvenirs"! :D

Thanks for the nice picture of rural America. Man, even with Covid we have it very easy!

Regards,
Eric.
Attachments
IMG_20201230_145228122 (450x600).jpg
IMG_20201230_145214066 (640x480).jpg
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Topper
Corporal

Post by Topper »

Hi Eric
I collect TR and some Japanese but its difficult and getting more difficult to even talk about any part of European history without "Hate crime" and white supremacist been thrown into the conversation,
Regards
Frank
PS This is a photo of my 9 year old son receiving his junior Black belt in Jujitsu on the 18th Dec 2016.
Attachments
image_3724708.jpg
image_3724708.jpg (45.88 KiB) Viewed 458 times
image_3206712.jpg
image_3206712.jpg (71.02 KiB) Viewed 458 times
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

It will be a day worth celebrating; when Europeans can again celebrate their amazing achievements (most of the World's significant inventions, along with Medicine, Sciences, Planes, Cinema...the list goes on). Sadly, killing one another, over the centuries, was also something we had a talent for- the consequences of which (including PC culture) we are still living with.

My son also has a samurai sword, and enough (functional) WW2 weaponry to restart the war. :) But he's in his forties. :D Pics of some of these pieces have been posted on RCTW, incidentally (look under 'WW2 weapons', I think)
I also collect a few bits here and there, including part of a Spitfire that was shot down near Calais; A WW1 bayonet; WW1 shrapnel I picked up at Beaumont Hamel (The Somme), and much more. I'm looking to replace my Dad's medals that disappeared years ago, currently, and unit badges, but genuine WW2 medals can be quite pricey (France and Germany Star, War Medal (1939-45)., etc.)
In fact, this is me actually wearing one of my collectibles (a few decades ago- and no, I didn't serve in the Wehrmacht :D ).
Your introductory thread has evolved a tad, into a nice patchwork. :D , but congrats to nipper on the black belt success! Just remember to give in to his every whim in future :haha:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Well said 43rdRR,

This thread has continued to go astray. That is a very nice shot of you in the stahlhelm by the way. :clap:

Frank,

Nice sword, one thing I haven't got around to adding to my collection yet. You're unfortunately correct about the "branding" given to collector's of such items. Every time I take a new visitor into my room, I make sure to carefully and thoroughly explain why I collect these items. In this hyper sensitive age we live in, knee jerk reactions are all too familiar. Surprisingly, here in the States you'll get more of a negative reaction about collecting firearms than TR memorabilia (i.e. " so you're a gun nut?")?! I'm sure you know the old saying about "history forgotten"?

I really like your addition to the "old collector's" line. I went to school with 3 Irish brothers. Great guys, but ready to "have a go" with anyone, at anytime, and anywhere...including among themselves! Good guys to have on your side! :D

Kudos to your son. That's an enormous amount of work and dedication to get to that point! Nice job! :thumbup:

Hoping you and yours have a great New Year,
Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”