New bug

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Mickp868
Recruit

New bug

Post by Mickp868 »

Hi out there, I’ve finally got round to buying a Heng Long Tiger I. I always wanted to build a Tamiya tank but can’t justify the cost and the Heng Long was a compromise.

Quite happy with my purchase and have found this site really useful pointing out things that I can improve on my tank to make it more realistic while keeping it strong enough to survive my 5 year old grandson’s driving skills, (grandad’s tank is a lot more fun than his rc bat mobile!)

I’ve built loads of 1/72 and 1/35 tanks in the past but this is my first foray into 1/16, l now fancy a Panther!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: New bug

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Glad you're happy with the newly acquired illness, Mick (Tigeritis) ! :thumbup: Do post a pic of the cat (not the family one, though...) when you get the opportunity.
When do you think the bug will drive you to buy another tank, then? Any type taken your fancy?
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Mickp868
Recruit

Post by Mickp868 »

I’d actually like to convert a Panther into a Bergepanther if I can find a suitable donor vehicle on e-bay. I have a good reference book and a 1/35 scale model to work from.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Welcome Mick, have fun with the Tiger! Actually makes me wonder if HL improved the Tiger with the latest iteration V6 compared with the first 2.4 GHz version.
EAO

Post by EAO »

Welcome Mr. Mick,

Where on this huge planet do you hail from? I too yearn for a Panther to go along with my Taigen Tiger 1.

Regards,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

Estnische wrote:...Actually makes me wonder if HL improved the Tiger with the latest iteration V6 compared with the first 2.4 GHz version.
Hello
I'm not in WWII tank ( I prefer modern - sorry ;) ), but if you want to fill the differnce between old HL v3.0 - 2,4Ghz ( old crappy sound package ), and the new HL TK 6.0/6.1 ( sound package is the same in booth ) take a look here:

old HL v.3.0 - 2,4Ghz:
phpBB [video]

HL TK 6.0/6.1 ( Tiger is first )
phpBB [video]

Sorry but pasting youtube code
phpBB [video]
is not working for me
I recorded both films with the same speaker because I was curious what the real difference in sound quality between the MFUs is
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

abramsky wrote:old HL v.3.0 - 2,4Ghz:
http://youtu.be/crj4IOXBhjs?t=127

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpBj2VuYIoM

phpBB [video]
is not working for me
Sorted for you :thumbup:
Somehow you had a different "address" to the videos than was required. Although your links worked, these are the addresses that work between the video brackets. It may help you in the future when posting videos.
old HL v.3.0 - 2,4Ghz:
https://youtu.be/crj4IOXBhjs

https://youtu.be/mpBj2VuYIoM

Hello and welcome to the forum Mick :wave:

Although Heng Long tanks need a bit of work to get running correctly, to me, that's half the fun :thumbup:

Enjoy the forum.
Mick.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

abramsky wrote:
Estnische wrote:...Actually makes me wonder if HL improved the Tiger with the latest iteration V6 compared with the first 2.4 GHz version.
Hello
I'm not in WWII tank ( I prefer modern - sorry ;) ), but if you want to fill the differnce between old HL v3.0 - 2,4Ghz ( old crappy sound package ), and the new HL TK 6.0/6.1 ( sound package is the same in booth ) take a look here:

phpBB [video]
is not working for me
I recorded both films with the same speaker because I was curious what the real difference in sound quality between the MFUs is
Thanks for that. Actually I was referring to the modelling differences. Front hull hatches that don’t open, the dual stored antennae, the shabby rear turret storage, and off centre turret rotation are but a few issues recorded in the What To Fix section devoted to the Tiger.
Mickp868
Recruit

Post by Mickp868 »

Some of the fixes are in the newer model, the mantlet is the right way round, the pistol port on the turret is correct but the turret hatch is still the wrong orientation. Still has two spare antenna tubes and two convoy lights. On the plus side opening the tank is easier, 4 body screws in the base of the tank so you don’t need to take the tracks off and two more screws hidden behind the clip in spare track links.

So far I’ve fitted grilles on the engine decks, cut off the unwanted spare antenna tube and convoy light ( and a bit of finger), added cables to the smoke dischargers, still need to fill the tubes to represent the smoke grenades, replaced the headlights with metal ones with proper blackout covers, tried modifying the stock items and wasn’t happy with the result. Removed the antenna mount as it isn’t connected to anything, fitted an aftermarket from Forgebear in place of the moulded mount, really pleased with this as it is rubber mounted and bends when the gun is traversed over it, however I am looking at altering the turret mounting so that the end stops are now off right rear to protect the antenna as I’m not sure how robust it will be long term.
I’ve also bought periscopes to fit on the driver and radio op hatches, however the mounting of the on/off switch prevents fitting the periscope in the drivers hatch as there is not enough room, I’m considering my options and may relocate the switch.
I have also made deeper cuts between the side mudguard segments, not completely through as a compromise between realism and robustness. I have oversprayed red brown based on a photo and numbered the tank as per the photo, it is roughly right on one side at least (only have picture of 1 side). Also applied light weathering and muddied up the road wheels with a Tamiya weathering stick and also touched up the paint on the supplied tools and cables.
I still need to add the strengthening pieces by the front drive and paint the tracks, which seem more reluctant to split than real ones! I’m happy with the gun at the moment but will probably replace it and add a recoil mechanism when I get fed up off shooting up the garden.
For the money paid I’m pleased with what I’ve got, 1/16 is much better than my old 1/35 Tamiya King Tiger
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Sounds like you don't need to check out David Byrden's Tiger site for Tiger model anomalies. :D You detail some impressive progess there, and pics of the progress would be even better! :D
Incidentally, Taigen do a Tiger 1 turret (mid and late, I think) that combines Airsoft and barrel Recoil. However, I've not heard of anyone yet who's combined the Taigen turret effectively with a V6.0 Heng Long Tiger 1. I can't see why it wouldn't work, with some tweaks. :problem:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”