New Starter, from Banbury

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
deckchair
Recruit

New Starter, from Banbury

Post by deckchair »

Hi All, Old wargamer trying out R/C for first time. Have purchased a HL Sherman with various upgrades, had a look inside and now find my M/G light has dropped out! Rats, it took enough courage to have a look, will think about taking another peek tomorrow. Any Clubs Societies in Banbury area?
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: New Starter, from Banbury

Post by EAO »

Welcome,

It does seem that sometimes it's always something. Usually just small things that need attention. I don't think there's anything that the guys on here can't get you out of, so don't despair. I used to play with RC airplanes 20 years ago or so. Out of all my flights (or crashes depending upon how you looked at it), I think I only came back twice without needing to fix something! At least so far, these tanks have been much more forgiving.

Welcome aboard and enjoy,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi, Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
You will be fixing niggling little problems most of which occur first thing in the morning after shutting down a perfectly functioning Tank the night before for as long as you own r/c Armour :lolno:

As to nearby clubs to the Banbury area,
I don't know how far you wish to travel but Great Gonerby on the A1 is about as close as there is to you,
Of course all the clubs have shut down for the present because of this virus,
While we all wait for anything near to normal I would suggest you check out the clubs and the details about them on the relevant page of this Forum,
Fixing the "Light" or is it an MG "LED" is a simple task and when you scan the Heng Long Builds section of this Forum you will probably find the answer but of course we are open to all your questions.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Hello and welcome to the forum Mr. deckchair :wave: don't worry too much about taking a look inside your problematic tank, give yourself a couple of months and when you're in 5 tanks deep ( yes this hobby is very addictive ;D ) the first thing you will do on receiving a new one is to open it up to see what you're faced with, then the upgrading starts :D that's where most of the fun comes from in this hobby, and when you get stuck there's plenty of tips and tricks in the sub forums here and members who are only to willing to help out :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Welcome
Come in share some pictures of your new toy and then keep us informed what you upgrading. Don't worry you will end up buying lots of things to upgrade and keep it company :)
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
deckchair
Recruit

Post by deckchair »

Thanks for the welcome guys, I've fixed the m/gun, but the light looks like a soldering iron job, bit daunting for one who has never soldered anything, especially near so much plastic, but I'm sure there must be a way round that. Weathering continues and metal track part painted. Have to do my tax return today, so probably re=commence playing with the new toy tomorrow, but again thanks for the encouragement!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

When it comes to hands on learning I go to U-Tube :thumbup:
You will find loads (sic) of video's that will show you how to Solder and don't forget that Soldering has a big brother,
A (Dremmel) Butane gas torch and "Fryolite Liquid Solder or Flux coated Bronze/Copper Brazing rod for Photo Etch and other metalwork.
And you thought that all you would be doing was driving your Tank around the front room HAH,
This is where the story really starts,
Get your wallet out coz you are going to need it :lolno: :lolno:
deckchair
Recruit

Post by deckchair »

Thanks, I've found You Tube really informative. Bye the way, and no doubt you are already aware of this, if you have seen adverts on Facebook for Tiger Tanks from Boominshop6, Lakaka6,Gozabra or Climbery with incredibly cheap Heng Long tanks, do not touch them with a barge-pole. They are a complete scam, all you will get back are kiddie 'push a long' toys of no use whatsoever, and then a long fight to try to recover the money spent. I'm fighting with them now, with Pay Pal to try and recover the situation, whereas from Toucan (I-Love-tea) I got excellent service and a Sherman special build within 3 days, which restored my faith in people/the hobby.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

As you get more accustomed to the Forum you will see one particular Dealers name raising its worthy head again and again,
I refer of course to
www.forgebeartanks.com
Dave is a staunch member of the Forum and a stalwart of our hobby,
I promise you will never get the runaround from Dave & Julie :thumbup:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

In fact Dave makes it so easy it’s like he’s feeding sugar to kids !!
He has the art of supplying pleasure so down pat he’s almost wearing a fur coat and red Fedora with peacock feathers in it !!! :D
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Introduce Yourself”