Introduce Myself

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Valkja
Recruit

Introduce Myself

Post by Valkja »

Hi Every one, my name is Peter and I am new to the world of RC tanks and during the first part of the current pandemic I brought a second hand HL Tiger1 tank which turned out to be on its last legs. So being a very keen modeller before joining the forces all those years ago, I thought I would attempt to fix and upgrade the tank as it was just a hand painted basic model. So I sent about doing this and ended up replacing the lower hull with a Taigen one, which I have fitted Mato metal tracks, road wheels, sprockets, idlers, I have installed new metal gears, smoke generator, speaker (taigan) which I have attached everything to a HL 2.4GHz receiver. The everything works as it should do in the lower hull. However, When I attach the upper hull the lights work but the turret does not rotate if you push the left controller left or right and only works if you push up or push down on the left stick. the main gun does not raise up or down at all now. It was suggested by someone that I swap the wires round between HL turret and the receiver but this has not helped (Might be because I not update on the electronics) so I have now purchased a taigan after doing some research only to find out that it might not be compatible with my RX18 2.4GHz receiver (Ahhh).

If anyone has any advice for me that would be great and appreciated. There doesn't seem to be any local clubs where I live that I could join.

p.s. I stumbled across this website quite some time ago and it has been really interesting in reading the information that on the site and looking at the gallery of peoples work makes me more determined then ever to finish this tank. :thumbup:
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Re: Introduce Myself

Post by jhamm »

Hello Peter,
respect - this is a perfect introduction. :thumbup:
Welcome on board.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Hello and welcome to the forum Peter :wave: you'd be right in thinking that a taigen radio will not work with an heng long mfu unit :thumbdown: you usually have to have the right handset to match with that particular board, even having the same make sometimes does not work as there are different versions of radios and boards within their own lineup :crazy: if you can post some pictures of what you currently have and the new one you have ordered I'm sure someone with knowledge of it will be along to help you out :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Welcome, Valkja!.

Yes, mixing components can throw up unexpected problems, even though early Taigen and Heng Long tanks were practically identical in all crucial respects. This is not the case with later models.
What's more, for Heng Long Controllers (Multifunction Units), you will need the corresponding Transmitter, and matching 8-Pin connector blocks- these can vary year by year.
The same applies to Taigen models, except that with their V3 (generation three) electronics system, it is possible to use a hobby-grade transmitter instead of the Stock item. However, members have reported problems getting all the Controller's functions working using a non-Taigen hobby grade transmitter.
If you have V4 HL electronics, you will need the matching V4 Transmitter, ditto with V5.3 systems... V6.0 and so on.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Valkja
Recruit

Post by Valkja »

Thanks you for everyones reply. I may of not explained everything correctly so please except my apologises.

In essence I now have a Taigen lower Hull that is fitted with Mato tracks wheels sprockets etc. inside is a speaker (Taigen) Smoke machine (HL) 2.4GHz (5.3v I believe) receiver and the motors (Gears) all these function via 2.4GHz Transmitter (HL) which replaced the 27GHz transmitter and receiver that came with the tank. The tank moves and turns well the sound is good as is the smoke.

The problem that I have encountered is that the Turret (HL) will now not operate correctly with the HL transmitter/receiver which I assumed that it would as I haven't changed any of the wiring system, it still HL. The turret will only rotate left or right by pushing the left control stick up or down and not as it should do i.e. by pushing the control stick left or right. The barrel that should operate by pushing the stick up or down does work at all. It was suggested that I cut the wires to the 8 pin lead to the turret/receiver and rewire them as part of a process of elimination.

In the mean time I have purchased a Taigen turret full wired in the believe that it would be just a plug and play process which I now know to be wrong, so I believe I have only two options one, try to work out the problem with the HL wiring set system or two, purchase a Taigen transmitter, receiver and MFU. the preferred option would be to solve the wiring issue to save money on my first build? I would add some photos not sure how to do this at the moment.

Thanks
Peter
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Don't cut any wires. !!! It's generally possible to extract wires from their respective connector blocks with a thumbtack, or a small watchmaker's screwdriver. If the need arises, that is. You may simply have inserted the connectors into the respective connector blocks the wrong way round. :problem:
5.3 systems require this upper hull 8-Pin connector block. If you have an earlier one, you will have compatibility issues.
HL 8 Pin adaptor for 5.3 systems
HL 8 Pin adaptor for 5.3 systems
HL wiring new adaptor.jpg (96.12 KiB) Viewed 460 times
HL V5.3 8-9 pin upper hull connector
HL V5.3 8-9 pin upper hull connector

Using wiring diagrams, it should be possible to trace the path wires should take from individual components (Gun, Lights, Smoker etc...) to the MFU controller board. Most of these diagrams can be found here, using the 'search' feature.
Here is someone else with the same problem, but with a Pershing in this instance... He found a solution by obtaining the correct wiring connector
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=29905&p=288988&hil ... .4#p288988
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”