Introduction

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Introduction

Post by Meter rat »

Hello, I've been lurking on here for a while. My name is Ian. I am originally from Aberdeen but now I live in Derbyshire. I have been modelling railways, RC cars and boats for most of my life. Along with decrepit Citroen cars, Russian cars, British and East German motorbikes. During the early part of this pandemic, I was on standby, with very little work. I had an old Tamiya Leopard A1 which I decided to make an effort to restore. I got it up and running and made some replacement parts. I still have to finish it. I have now found as supplier for the missing parts I need from this site. It might get expensive. I then decided to purchase a Henglong T72 from a well know supplier, who appears on the black list on this site. The tank failed, and the requests for repair or replacement went unheeded. The threat of the small claims court resolved that issue. Anyway I wish I knew about this site before all the hassle. The tank is now working better with a bit of work and ingenuity. I am after a Challenger, Leopard, and a T90. One of which may be a Christmas present.
The T72 has been repainted, and weathered, and rear lights installed. Next will be the removal of the BB equipment, for environmental reasons, and the installation of a gun smoker. This could get expensive. But still cheaper than rusty Citroens.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Introduction

Post by Jimster »

Welcome aboard from the USA! Sounds as if you have a solid modeling background. I’m an old model railroader myself and find it interesting how hobby interests develop and evolve over time. Be sure to post pics of your efforts when your ready.
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

I will post pictures, when I find out how too.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi, Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
You and I appear to share a common interest in Citroen's, Motorcycles and RC Armour :thumbup:
My first Citroen was a GSA Estate which was a revelation in its design suffering the usual underpowered engine and clunky gearbox common to every Citroen I have ever driven But for all its shortcomings I loved It But it was simply too small for me and my family's needs so I part exchanged it for something a little bigger :lolno:
A Citroen CX Familiale :thumbup: I literally ran that supercar into the ground because there really was nothing on the market that came near to replacing it.
After that it was Merc's and later Audi's but they never gave me the fixed grin that my CX did,
I have only had one Brit Bike, It was a BSA M20 Army Dispatch Bike and I learnt to ride on it.
Extraordinarily crude but it was a Motorbike and because it was the Army's property the REME workshop looked after it while I moved on to my first Japanese bike a Honda Superdream which I bought from an RAF Corporal who was at the end of his tour,
This was followed by lots of big Kawasaki's although the most fun and the best looking was a ZR 750 Zephyr.
My present machine is an ever aging Suzuki 1200 Bandit,Nuff said :lolno:
I hope you enjoy the Forum and please ask lots of questions.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I just googled Citroen to see images and I can’t believe how many varieties I see. I thought they all looked exactly alike but it’s absolutely amazing to me. Even a station wagon! When I visited my two uncles in Germany back in ‘79 (I was 15) I remember one of them telling me that they utilized wood in the frame but aren’t they unibody?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Welcome!
We'll look forward to your Tamiya restoration pics, as well shots of the arrival of new additions to the stable. You can post pics from Imgur, Tapatalk, or direct from your computer, so long as the photos are no bigger than 351kb. Gary (Max-U52) posted a useful video lately, on posting stuff. (Heck, his vids are always useful :D ) I'll find the link later.
It's not often that we get 'Doric' speakers on here, and only lately I had a good laugh at this helpful Korean guy demonstrating how North Eastern Scots should be spoken :lolno: :D :crazy:
phpBB [video]

For those unfamiliar with the 'Doric' dialect, it's found in Aberdeen, Dundee, and North East Scotland.
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I’ve worked with a few guys that sound like that!!
Might as well have been speaking Zwahili :crazy:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Thank you for the welcome.
Ordered some parts for the Leopard this morning. Did not do it quite quick enough, before the wife found out how much I was going to spend, and took my credit card off me.
Talking of dialects and accents, putting my Aberdonian Farther and cousin's Glaswegian husband together would always make for an interesting evening, especially after a few dreams. They may well have been speaking Inuit and Peruvian.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hello and welcome to the forum Ian :wave:

I had a Citroen SM for a short time about 25 years ago.

Come on, we need black list updates, there's no problem with sharing who tried to get away with a bad deal.

As for wanting that many tanks, looks like your other half will have other ideas about that ;) Maybe I should teach you some devious shenanigans about secretly making purchases and smuggling in your "contraband" :haha:

Enjoy the forum.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

An SM. Somebody has some money. Is it still about?
I have a mere 1.6BX and an Acadiane.
I will name and shame in the correct section.
As regard my spending, my wife is normally very tolerant. We are at the moment trying to do the house ready for the rental market, as we are no being to a hopefully bigger house. We just don't know where. She is very tolerant and long suffering of a lot I do. Like putting motorbike and car parts in the dishwasher, freezer and oven. Can't grumble if she stops spending too much. And she did buy me Whisky.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”