hi from Banbury

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Biggles
Recruit

hi from Banbury

Post by Biggles »

Hi, newbie here. Used to fly rc scale gliders but moved on ages ago - got fed up repairing them after landing mishaps, lol. Hopefully a tank won't break as easily. Been looking into the world of tanks for a while and finally taken the plunge, just ordered a Torro Tiger. Can't wait, should be here in a few days.
Looking forward to finding out more about the world of rc tanks.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: hi from Banbury

Post by jarndice »

Hi, Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
I guess what you need is a gliding Tank :haha: Well the Soviet Union did build and trial exactly that,
That this fact is not well known should give you a hint as to how successful it was :lolno:
I am not going to ask where you bought your Torro Tiger because I have a bad feeling and so my told you so`s can wait for another day.
If it does arrive go over it with a fine tooth comb and return it to the dealer asap if there is anything at all wrong with it.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Now there’s an encouraging welcome :haha:
Welcome and be sure to post pics of your new tank.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:D
Welcome!
I used to read Biggles books back in the 1950s!. God, tempus fugit! I just hope you didn't order your Tiger from the evil 'Von Stalhein' :haha: Nein, gar nichts, I'm sure you picked out a decent vendor before taking the great plunge :thumbup: Online reviews -so long as they're the 'trusted' type- should provide a few handy waypoints on the purchase journey.
But, fear not, hope is at hand, anyway- in the trusted form of Jarndice (and others) :D
Hope you get a good 'un, and don't have a wizard prang. :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Biggles
Recruit

Post by Biggles »

Thanks for the welcome chaps, and thanks for the heads up about my new purchase. I did a fair bit of 'research' before taking the plunge and narrowed my choice down to a Tiger from either Taigen or Torro as I am drawn to the metal versions for their extra heft. I got the impression that the Taigen was comparible to the Torro but without the fancy packing crate, and cheaper. Anyway, availability was also a factor and the Taigen I found was only available in Tiki finish so I went with the Torro one at Haya Ltd in Cardiff. There are some positive reviews about this supplier and hence I felt confident in parting with the readies. Time will tell, of course. I am advised that it should be despatched Wednesday/Thursday so hopefully it will arrive in a few days. I will examine it all thoroughly on arrival and will post further updates - fingers crossed all good news, lol.
I'm assuming these items are stocked by the vendor but won't be surprised if they come out of some central warehouse somewhere.
Anyway, Algy sends his regards, pip pip.
Cheers.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Sometimes it is nice to be wrong,I honestly thought that you were buying a Torro Tank from a certain less than trustworthy Torro English dealer so imagine my relief when you said it was coming from Haya's,
Not the cheapest but straight as a die,
I doubt you will find anything wrong with your new Tank but if anything is wrong Haya's will appear coming to the rescue just like the 7th Cavalry :thumbup: :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:haha: :thumbup: Simply Wizard!
Just to add to old Jarndice's observations, Andrew Haya is also a member of this forum. What's more, he has been been helping to take the hobby forward with some laudable entrepreneurial efforts.
He came up with the Lee-Grant model (you won't find elsewhere), as well as his well-received recent Chieftain offering- both in 1/16. Lately, he's even come up with his own take on Heng Long's V6.0 series
electronic control system (MultiFunction Unit + receiver and transmitter). All in all, you're in good (if a tad pricey) hands buying from him. :thumbup:

Taigen and Torro are- essentially- the same company, by the way. A bit like Austin and Morris used to be.
Regards to Ginger, as well as Algy. :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Biggles
Recruit

Post by Biggles »

Cheers guys. It's reassuring to know that my researches might have paid off. Like you all say, not cheap but I was hoping to go for a good 'un and was prepared to pay. I dare say I'll be looking for a second tank soon, lol, and will seek all the advice I can via this forum.
Ginger tells me that he's just received confirmation from Andrew at Haya that my order is being collected tomorrow for Friday delivery. Tally ho!
Cheers, Biggles.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

43rdRecceReg wrote::haha: :thumbup: Simply Wizard!

Taigen and Torro are- essentially- the same company, by the way. A bit like Austin and Morris used to be.
Regards to Ginger, as well as Algy. :D

Or Aston Martin and Lagonda or Rolls Royce and Bentley or Humber and Hillman and Singer and Sunbeam and Karrier and Commer :haha: :haha:
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Welcome :)
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät