Old newbie

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Old newbie

Post by Max-U52 »

Welcome aboard, Shayne, from the Motor City. Sorry about that minor hijack of your thread in that last post but I couldn't resist razzing Mick just a little bit. He'll probably deny it, but he really likes it when we tease him. @)

The way you spell your name is kind of unique, any story there?

My first tank was also the HL Tiger 1 and I also added metal tracks and sprockets and idlers and all that other good stuff. Mine was a bit older, and came with the old FM 27 megahertz Electronics. But now that I think about it, yours might have been the same way. Did your tank come with a transmitter that had a metal aerial on it? Anyway, with the advancements in electronics this might be a perfect time for you to lose that rx18 and get something decent in there. You've got Tankbear over there in the UK, my personal favorite Electronics dealer, and he has a whole line of a really great board called the IBU. But there are several very good aftermarket boards available so I think it really comes down to a matter of personal preference. About the only board I haven't tried yet is the Elmod and of the ones I have tried my favorite was the ASP, which is no longer in production. But both IBU and Clark make a very good board, and the new 6.0 and 6.1 Electronics from HL are pretty darn good as well. Depends on what you want to do with the tank. Do you think you'll be battling? Or is your tank an airsoft tank?

Anyway, always good to see new members, especially when they're older than I am. Just by a year, but you know how it is, partner, at our age we take what we can get. 8)

Again, welcome aboard, and welcome to the Dark Side of RC. You're gonna love it. :thumbup:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Once you go Elmod you'll never go back. My poor old Tiger has been subjected to an RX18, Taigen V3, Clark TK-40 and now an Elmod. All those boards were stepping stones along my rc tank journey and they all functioned as advertised but I saw some YouTube videos showcasing the Elmod Fusion Pro board and was amazed at the realistic customizable sounds and driving characteristics and the fact that everything can be adjusted to suit your tastes. However if you're just interested in simple inexpensive rc tank play (absolutely nothing wrong with that) then the RX18 will be just fine. Everybody has different ideas about what makes them happy. I just hated the super fast unrealistic jerky movements and sketchy sounds that the RX18 had. Anyhoos, good luck on getting the old girl back in shape and above all else have fun!
Miniman394
Recruit

Post by Miniman394 »

Oh yes Mick I was a junior leader apr1973 to Dec 1974
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

To put one back on Mick, he did not mention which army.

It was the Salvation Army! :shh:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Miniman394 wrote:Oh yes Mick I was a junior leader apr1973 to Dec 1974
Hah, you're older than me, I wouldn't have started till 1974 :D
Estnische wrote:To put one back on Mick, he did not mention which army.

It was the Salvation Army! :shh:
I believe that was Shaun (Jarndice) ;)
Max-U52 wrote:
Son of a gun-ner wrote:Yes, was that 22 years?
I came close to joining the army, it basically came down to the toss of a coin why I didn't.
I've heard this before about you, Mick, but with a little more detail. The way I heard it, you were thinking about joining an Army in America. The only thing I haven't figured out is which army you were thinking about joining, Union or Confederate? Bwahahaha @) :angel: :haha: :haha:
Keep taking the pills dear.
Shayne, don't worry too much about this bloke, they sometimes take pity on the poor old thing and let him out into the community for rehabilitation purposes. . . .
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Miniman394
Recruit

Post by Miniman394 »

I have a thick skin (and a thick head)!
Just loving the banter on here.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”