Hi There

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Arch1834
Recruit

Re: Hi There

Post by Arch1834 »

I am in Hampshire, UK. Yes, there seems to be loads of tigers about as well as upgrades for them.

Although, I have a feeling I've only scratched the surface on the tips and tricks modding them. So many ideas, so much potential.
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

I have to wonder. Is German armour the tiger mostly so popular because there is far less of it around compared to Russian and allied armour? Or are there other reasons? Please don’t say it’s because it was the best because it really wasn’t. But Germany did have some of the best armour during the war but not necessarily the best gun
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Arch1834
Recruit

Post by Arch1834 »

I reckon it is the 'Fear factor'.

The reputation of the Tigers clearly shows them as one of the most feared Axis tanks of WW2.

Owning something with that rep is awesome.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

It's because they had the most "menace."
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

The kill/loss ratio is unmatched. No other tank was more successful until the Abrams. Only about 1,345 were produced but they far outperformed every other tank. They ate Sherman’s for breakfast and crapped out T-34s by lunchtime. The allied forces were petrified by their mere existence and there was a reason for it. Many folks probably are tired of seeing them everywhere on rc tank forums but there’s a reason they’re popular. By the end of the war there were some more capable tanks but the Tiger 1, considering their low numbers, were the most feared piece of armor in existence. I’ve read many accounts where one Tiger took out many many enemy tanks. I’ve not read any accounts where one KV-1 (or whatever) knocked out a dozen or more Tigers in one meal. I love all German armor but there’s no denying that the Tiger 1 is the most famous/awesome of all WW2 tanks and they earned the title.
Now for a shot of cheap American whiskey. Or two.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Exhibitedbrute wrote:I have to wonder. Is German armour the tiger mostly so popular because there is far less of it around compared to Russian and allied armour? Or are there other reasons? Please don’t say it’s because it was the best because it really wasn’t. But Germany did have some of the best armour during the war but not necessarily the best gun

I am sorry to disagree with you but the most important part of the Tiger 1 was the main gun,
The hull and the body were overweight liability's because they were designed before the revolutionary sloping armour of the T34 changed Tank design forever.
Krupps guaranteed the main gun to be 100% accurate and considering the later version 88mm in the Tiger 1 (Late) was the 88 mm Flak in a new housing it should not really be a surprise.
That particular gun having routed the British Army in North Africa single handedly in battle after battle before weight of numbers and access to enigma intelligence backfooted the German African Panzer Armee :thumbdown:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Hehe, this could turn into an argument quite easily...
I think the Tiger 1 is a formidable & sexy shape, easily recognisable from any angle & they’ve been in just about every post war film going. We were all, like it or not, brought up on them, so it’s no surprise that when people are new to the hobby it is their tank of choice. It’s only when you get into it that you discover all the other tanks & their variants, that’s where the fun starts lol
Welcome along Archie
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

There is no doubt the 88 was a very good gun. But there where other smaller guns capable of inflicting almost as much damage. For example the long barrel 75mm in the panther. Very good gun. One of the most accurate. More than enough muzzle velocity to go through any allied tank. The 17pdr. Once again a smaller gun but was the only gun the allied forces had that would go through a tiger according to some documentaries.

In some ways the 88 was a little over kill when you look at what it was shooting at and the tiger though it struck fear into the hearts of allied and Russian crews alike the panzer 4 and panthers where more than a match for what was coming at them.
It’s your tank it’s what you make it

Return to “Introduce Yourself”