sidetracked back to AFVs

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
kevsmiththai
Recruit

sidetracked back to AFVs

Post by kevsmiththai »

Hi.

please let me introduce myself

Kev Smith here from Cumbria.

I'm best known for my Z scale (1/220) exhibition model railway layouts ('Cuyahoga',' Shasta', 'Republic Steel' and the soon to debut 'Hakuho') but have always been an AFV modeller since I was about 15, scratchbuilding Hellcats and Rols Royce armoured cars in 1/32 scale from plans in Airfix magazine.

Years ag, on a whim, I bought a Hen Long 1/24th Leopard from Barrow market which my grandson Brooklyn (8) has been allowed to play with and has always coveted and so I told his Grandma that this Christmas he should have one of his own. We got him the 1/24th T90 and he nearly fainted when he undid the box on Christmas day.

Sadly the anticipated battle between the Leopard and the T90 never happened as my tank was dead, subsequent investigation showed corrosion on the battery pack and plug and socket.I will sort it eventually but in the classic internet manner of getting drawn to the dark side, looking for a replacement battery pack led me into the world of 1/16th RC AFVs

In the boxing day sales I ended up buying a 1/16th Hen Long M1A2 Abrams which is already on the work bench having the periscope glasses fitted. I'm going to apply the same rigour in terms of detailing and weathering as I do in my railway Models so expect many questions about finding detailing bits etc.

A siren voice is already calling me to model a 16th scale TTX DDOX flat railroad wagon to park it on. This is equivalent to a 3 1/2" gauge model in model engineering terms so would also be a big beast in itself

Kev
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: sidetracked back to AFVs

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Welcome, Kev, and beware those AFV sirens. :O They'll soon have you on the rocks (probably with a whisky, or Gin :D ), and with lots of scattered tank parts for wreckage :wave:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: sidetracked back to AFVs

Post by General Jumbo01 »

You build a 5 acre 1/16 model railway layout with lots of scenic buildings etc and we'll be happy to bring our tanks and support vehicles to you for a battle day :)

Welcome to another great hobby!
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection

Return to “Introduce Yourself”