Hello from Kidderminster

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Gas hog
Recruit

Hello from Kidderminster

Post by Gas hog »

Good evening, i have just joined the forum. I am looking for advice on buying my first tank, it`s very mind boggling. Should i buy a metal tank, or a plastic bodied one and upgrade it or an already upgraded version?. Any hints and tips gratefully accepted.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: Hello from Kidderminster

Post by General Jumbo01 »

If you want a predominately metal tank then its cheaper to buy it as a 'metal' version rather than buy a base model and fit the metal options. Is it better if metal? We assume it is. Mainly because it's more expensive, but if used indoors and flat or short pile carpet then plastic gearbox, wheels and tracks are fine. Metal lower hulls are liked because they are strong and ride well but again, you can tune an over sprung plastic hull to run just as well. Metal turrets are completely unnecessary and do more damage than good because of their weight but its trendy to go that way!

Often detail parts are better detailed in metal than plastic, driving lights being a good example but thats only because they are manufactured that way and that will, l bet soon change.

Right now, if you buy the very latest version (and you MUST!) then Henglong have a small edge on drivability and a big edge on price. Taigen / Torro have an edge on finish and reliability plus recoil/gun flash, but you will pay more. Both offer bb bullets and/or infrared battle systems.

If you buy Tamiya you will pay a LOT more, they are all plastic (but no one does plastic better) and they are top quality though maybe a little long in the tooth.

All the above is only my opinion but is shared by many. Best to visit your local club if such exists to see what they all use and what battle standards they follow.

My personal recommendation would be to buy a version 6 Henglong Tiger 1 as you can find them new on eBay for under £90 and learn the ropes and see if the hobby is for you. If not you can resell it for nearly as much! Happy pondering :)

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Agreed. My first tank was a cheap Heng Long Tiger 1. I spent the next year upgrading to my liking including details and electronics. Great way to ease into the hobby. And if rc tanking turns out not to be your “cup of tea” you won’t be out the price of an expensive high end metal tank. One man’s opinion of course.
Gas hog
Recruit

Post by Gas hog »

Thank you both for your thoughts, very much appreciated.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

I did the opposite of Jumbo/Jim, I went straight in at the Tamiya end, built a full option Sherman and never regretted it. 20 or so tanks later (almost all tamiya) I’m still enjoying it.

General Jumbo01 wrote: If you buy Tamiya you will pay a LOT more, they are all plastic (but no one does plastic better) and they are top quality though maybe a little long in the tooth.
Tamiya aren’t all plastic, you are misinformed - the metal bits are in the right places. Hull, sprockets, idlers, suspension etc.

You pay the same for a Tamiya Sherman and Tiger as you would a Taigen in the end.

My opinion would be to go to a meeting a see what you like.
Gas hog
Recruit

Post by Gas hog »

My personal recommendation would be to buy a version 6 Henglong Tiger 1 as you can find them new on eBay for under £90 and learn the ropes and see if the hobby is for you. If not you can resell it for nearly as much! Happy pondering :)

I have just purchased a Torro Tiger 1 from Amazon, it arrives Tuesday. Thank you for your advice.
General Jumbo01

You didn't ponder long but l'm guessing you'd already decided! Now if you'd have said l would have recommended you went to Forgebear who is the Taigen UK importer and a member here. Top bloke, too service, top price. Still, great for parts and upgrades too.

Re the Tamiya response, Tamiya kits are predominantly plastic but use metals where necessary and upgrades are available but you are NOT looking at the same price of an all metal Taigen /Torro at say £360-500. I'm not knocking Tamiya, they are very nice and generally accurate models, but they are pricey.

What type and version of the Tiger 1 did you buy?

Gas hog
Recruit

Post by Gas hog »

General Jumbo01 wrote:You didn't ponder long but l'm guessing you'd already decided! Now if you'd have said l would have recommended you went to Forgebear who is the Taigen UK importer and a member here. Top bloke, too service, top price. Still, great for parts and upgrades too.

Re the Tamiya response, Tamiya kits are predominantly plastic but use metals where necessary and upgrades are available but you are NOT looking at the same price of an all metal Taigen /Torro at say £360-500. I'm not knocking Tamiya, they are very nice and generally accurate models, but they are pricey.

What type and version of the Tiger 1 did you buy?

This one, not sure if it`s an early or late one.. time to swot up on tigers :S
TORRO 708 - Tank Tiger 1, 1/16 Scale with Infrared battle system 2.4 Proportional Control, Colour Winter Grey
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

Ah the old WSN one - good outer body detail (the turret is correct for starters, unlike Taigen/HengLong), but the gearboxes won't take a whole lot of abuse. On the plus side you can always marry the top to a Taigen chassis down the line :thumbup:
General Jumbo01

If its the WSN / Trumpeter model marketed by Torro then it's a late model Tiger1. Unfortunately its battle system is only compatible with the WSN T34/85 and since the range is shrinking (the winter camo T34 has disappeared) l doubt there are any planned additions.

Frankly, you have made a bit of a mistake but, if Amazon is agreeable, switch it for a ver6 Henglong Tiger1 before its too late. You asked for help but.....

Return to “Introduce Yourself”